413 Wedge

-

Jofis

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a 413 wedge with a 4 barrel is worth? A guy in my area has one that was put away running but has been sitting for over 10 years and would need to be gone through. Am interested in it but not sure what its worth.

Does anyone know what a 413 wedge with a 4 barrel is worth? A guy in my area has one that was put away running but has been sitting for over 10 years and would need to be gone through. Am interested in it but not sure what its worth.
what's he asking for it?

Depending upon how it was stored will figure into the value also. 413 passenger car engines were great in their time, parts like pistons are getting scarce for them now days. Most other parts from the 426 wedge & 440 will work such as cam, lifters, oil pump & other hard parts.

Depending upon how it was stored will figure into the value also. 413 passenger car engines were great in their time, parts like pistons are getting scarce for them now days. Most other parts from the 426 wedge & 440 will work such as cam, lifters, oil pump & other hard parts.
Sounds complicated if its not a "MAX". I may stick on my big and small block strokers. Unless the price is right.

A couple hundred bucks. It's probably a truck/motor home engine. Watch out what you get.

Sounds complicated if its not a "MAX". I may stick on my big and small block strokers. Unless the price is right.
Sounds more than complicated. He has it, you may want it, he paid something for it so that's where you would start. When posts are vague you'll never get a good answer because from this side it's a crap shoot which means nothing really and you may miss out on a good thing or you may get saved from a bad thing.

Race tec sells forged pistons but it must be bored to 4.250 wich is totally fine a 413.

413s aren't bad just Don't have piston selection like a 383,400 or 440. I just went with egge cast pistons and they hold up just fine. I'll find out this weekend if i can get this mostly stock small cammed 419 .030" over into the 12s so damn close.

The other thing about any RB out of a "truck" is it might be a med/ heavy truck engine such as 413-3. These are easily identified by the "high" mount water pump and WATER PASSAGES into the fronts of the heads, which light duty/ car/ HP engines don't have. These engines do NOT use an exhaust heat crossover, but rather HAVE COOLANT in those passages. Many have a water temp probe in the exhaust manifold between the middle two cylinders on one side.

Basically what you have there is a crank and a block. Watch for 8 vs 6 bolt cranks as well

Below notice water pump casting connects to ports in the front of the heads

413-32.jpg

Below notice the water temp sender in the EXHAUST MANIFOLD. This is a water / coolant passage

EDIT Also notice the exhaust uses a different bolt pattern and will not accept "normal" B/RB header flanges

313-31.jpg

Last edited:
I might give 100 bucks for one.

A 413 is basically just a small bore 440. Same raised deck, cranks and rods are interchangeable, as are heads and intakes. Piston selection sucks. I'm pretty sure what Hughes offers (unless they've updated their selection since the last time I looked) are low compression cast replacement pistons that will end up .080 below deck at TDC. If you have a 440 and a 413, it would make more sense to build the 440, both for the extra 27 cubes and also much better piston selection. However, if, like me, you already had a running 413 in a car you bought, a set of .050 milled Edelbrock heads will bump the CR up to the mid-9's, and a decent street cam, RPM intake and headers should easily give you - I dunno - 425 HP??

DSCF0067.JPG

When I was in high school, I had a 330 Dodge 2 door post car, /6, push button automatic. It was a very high mileage car & the /6 was tired. A neighbor had a black 330 with a V 8 but I didn't know what engine it was. I was mowing yards during the summer & he had me cut his. We were talking one day after I was through with his yard. I told him about my car & he told me to bring it by that next Saturday. To make a long story short, he took my car & told me to come back in two weeks with $200.00. When I went back, he rolled my car out of his garage with a 413 & push button transmission. The beginning of the next school year, I was the talk of the student parking lot because I had one of the faster cars on the lot. I really enjoyed that car & wish I had it back.

The guy is claiming its a "wedge". I am going to look at it. Is there a way to tell the difference at a glance?

The guy is claiming its a "wedge". I am going to look at it. Is there a way to tell the difference at a glance?
All LA small blocks are wedges. So are the B and RB engines. The Hemi's are not. A 413 that is a Max Wedge has special heads, cam and high compression. If you don't know what you are looking at you had better get all the numbers you can off the block, heads, intake (if it has one) and all the rest. Otherwise you will be just taking the guy's word that it's a "wedge". Ya, they all are.

Me and a buddy just rescued 2 '65 300's with 413's. one for me, one for him. He also picked up a 426 long block with the deal. My buddy (mid 60's with a thick skull) swears up and down that the 413's are all "street wedges" and that they are valuable.. I told him that they have wedge shaped combustion chambers, but they are not "wedge" engines and should not be considered valuable. I have no idea where the "street wedge" name even comes from as I've found no information on that terminology.

-
Back