416 redline

-

69PSSWINGER

Reaction score
Just got the 416 installed. Just wanting to find out what the redline should be. Has steel crank , H-beam rods,beehive springs ,Crane Gold roller rockers, balanced. Was built by Diamond Back Racing Engines. Thanks

What's the cam's operating range?

You have 2 things…..

Maximum safe RPM (this is mechanical)

Max RPM where it is making useable power (this is the cam and other bits)

wich piston? max. piston speed depends on the material. I will use KB hypers with a 4" stroke, my personal redline is around 6200.

You can go farther with forged pistons, but to make more power over 6000 you need good heads.....

Michael

You need to visit with your builder for that information. They will know what you have and how far to go. Diamond Back puts out quality products.

I shift my 410 4spd with 3.55 gears at around 6500-6800rpm. Cam is a solid flat tappet 262@50 .624 Lift, RHS LA Heads that flow around 280ish at .550, Beehive Valve springs are 140lbs on the seat and around 320lbs open. EMD oiling on the bottom of the lifters and oil through Manton Custom Hardened 3/8's pushrods with 5/16 tips that keep pressurized oil on the ball and cup with Hughes 1.6 Rockers, Shafts and hold downs. I have had this engine running for about a year and run it hard. I have only had to adjust the valves once on the Dyno and I checked them about 3 weeks later and only 4 of the exhaust valves needed small adjustment. I have checked it a few months ago and the valve adjustment is DEAD ON THE MONEY!

Well I got this engine from my Father in law who had it built & it was never installed. I know the cam was a Hughes cam but I can't find the cam card , it is hydraulic & the pistons are Diamond Pistons. The cam sounds very healthy,probably around a 600 lift .

Well the only way to truly know what you have is to tear it apart or call the builder and have them look up the sales receipt to know exactly what they did to it. Just because you think it sounds healthy and has a .600 lift cam doesn't mean much. I have heard .500 Lift cams with a duration of 240@50 and a 106 ICL sound pretty darn healthy.

When it throws a rod, you've found the red line.

It's hydraulic...6200 is it, but you will know...when you feel it start to lay over at the top of 2nd, you just passed it.

No way to answer the question other than with a range.

5500-6500 is where most roll over.

Seen some 4" arm engines turn 8K, but, not yours from what you mention is in it.

It's hydraulic...6200 is it, but you will know...when you feel it start to lay over at the top of 2nd, you just passed it.

meh........I spun my chevy 327 to 8800 a BUNCH with a BIG hyd cam. Was still pullin too.

shift went you hear the rod bolts stretch..........

Just got the 416 installed. Just wanting to find out what the redline should be. Has steel crank , H-beam rods,beehive springs ,Crane Gold roller rockers, balanced. Was built by Diamond Back Racing Engines. Thanks
I believe Damon would have built your block, and he is a member here, but comes infrequently.
I would ask your question at WWW.Moparstyle.com. Maybe BK or Damon could answer your question for you.

-
Back