426 Hemi into a 67 68 or 9 Notchback Cuda

-
3E7A2DCD-1E4E-468D-BBB9-3EF13786E8DF.jpeg
Thinking of a notchback Cuda with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. Street car only. Any building ideas before i look for a car or am i totally nuts???????
Thanks in advance
Joe
You’ll need to notch the passenger side shock tower. The heater piping maybe a problem. If you plan to use the original k frame, then you’ll need aftermarket engine mounts. The trans/bell molts are tough because you are so close to fire wall. It’s been done for 53 years so it’s nothing new. I’ve done it

Being nuts helps...dont fight it. cut splice n dice get it all jammed in then take it apart and make her pretty.

This car was featured in I believe 2008 Motor Trend Magazine or Hot Rod Magazine years after the Dart probably met an early demise. The motor and drive train don't have a shelf life. Having it in his possesion by no means is a loss of any type.
An original 68 Hemi Dart ($250,000 min) is no loss? Super sweet what he’s got but..

An original 68 Hemi Dart ($250,000 min) is no loss? Super sweet what he’s got but..
I think your missing the part where the dart was junked
Sure, it was a loss, but not at the time he installed the driveline in the barracuda

I think your missing the part where the dart was junked
Sure, it was a loss, but not at the time he installed the driveline in the barracuda
Ain’t missing anything, any car can be fixed. As nice as the Barracuda is it’s not 1/4 the value of what the Dart WOULD be now (50 were made) I did say AT THE TIME he used the parts, the Dart wasn’t as VALUABLE as it is now, no crystal balls to tell us then. THERE’S NO HISTORY to the Barracuda, in reality the same as sticking a Hemi in a 4 door Valiant, he lost value! If you think the Dart price is high try to buy one. As for the OP, 20 grand in the engine and another 5-10 getting it in the car RIGHT!

Do you have a motor yet. I have a friend that has 472 Hemi with about 800 miles on it with a 727 reverse valve body 3500 stall. For about 12,000. Complete pull out still in his running 70 Cuda. He wants to make it a daily.

Do you have a motor yet. I have a friend that has 472 Hemi with about 800 miles on it with a 727 reverse valve body 3500 stall. For about 12,000. Complete pull out still in his running 70 Cuda. He wants to make it a daily.

pm coming -----------

I would not worry about that Dart, no offense to the OP but that sounds like a bullshit story. No one would scrap a Hemi Dart even if it burnt to the ground I would keep it for yard art.

I would not worry about that Dart, no offense to the OP but that sounds like a bullshit story. No one would scrap a Hemi Dart even if it burnt to the ground I would keep it for yard art.
Lmao, so with your great knowledge how many original bodies(Dart or Barracuda) are around and if just one is missing your opinion is more than bullshit, it's irrelevant. What you "would've" done back then is just a pipe dream.

Example from 2015
"In 1969 Hall of Fame racer Max Hurley took possession of his 68 Hurst Hemi 426 SS/AA Dodge Dart and raced it all around the south until he sold it to Johnny Burge of Mobile, Alabama and two of his buddies ( Charlie McLemore & Howard Blackwell ) in 1976. It was raced at tracks around the South and Johnny also street raced that car until 1979 when it was damaged in an awful accident. Parts were saved and the car was crushed as were most of these old cars back then. Johnny wanted to bring his old car back to life so he started again. Many years later what you see here is the result of all his, his loving family, and many others hard work."

Last edited:
You should contact Hemi Denny at HDK suspension. He has built many 67-76 Hemi A-bodies that
are top-shelf. His current driver has an all-aluminum powertrain and weighs less than a Duster 340.

OK I just went through 921 threads in the engine swap section and NOBODY has ever installed a 426 Hemi in a Notchback Cuda ??????????? Are you kidding me ??????????? NOBODY
About 15-20 years ago, there was a pretty good article in a Mopar Muscle magazine where a guy put a 426 in an A Body. I might be able to dig it out, if you are interested.

Original Poster hasn’t been in this site since April 8, 2022.

Just need to search for a hemi install in a 67-76 A-body. Notchback is same.

-
Back