426 Max Wedge Crank

-

SSing

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 426 Hemi short block. And as I started to dissemble it, it turned out it has a 426 1964 Max Wedge Crank #2463548. Question is... Is the Max Wedge Crank equal in strength, to the Hemi crank, that came with the engine in 1966?
Thank You
Stefan

hi according to AERA , that casting number is used on 413, 426 wedge and hemi cranks. only difference might be flange bolt pattern, hemi's were 8 bolt, max wedge was 6 bolt. same dimensions overall. probably have to have it balanced? hemi rods were longer and heavier same for pistons. just food for thought.

hi according to AERA , that casting number is used on 413, 426 wedge and hemi cranks. only difference might be flange bolt pattern, hemi's were 8 bolt, max wedge was 6 bolt. same dimensions overall. probably have to have it balanced? hemi rods were longer and heavier same for pistons. just food for thought.

Thank You perfacar, Crank is 8 bolt. I had the guy at the machine shop check the numbers and he also mentioned 64 and NH405. That´s why I drew the conclusion it was a Max Wedge crank. But... This means I depend on this crank, as I would of an Hemi crank?

Here's the way I look at this sort of thing. Even here in the states where parts are somewhat? LOL more plentiful, these cars and parts have been through a LOT. My own experience is an EG. Years ago, I didn't know any better, I put a 273 crank into a 340. It worked "just fine" but I bet a 273 crank is not balanced the same as a 340.

So even if this IS a hemi crank, you are likely going to use some other pistons and or rods, and really, you should have the thing balanced with whatever parts you are going to put in there.

No idea what sort of power you are going to make? Sounds like a fairly stock build if you are even CONSIDERING using that crank.

That is to say, if I could afford a hemi, that is what would be happening, here.

in NHRA stock eliminator, the stock crank has to be used!!! the 426 max wedges are fast!!!!
they have to run a heavy rod and piston weight. the RPM them past 7000 RPM. and live!!
It'll take power!!!! mopar's max wedge and hemi cranks were well built. just food for thought.

in NHRA stock eliminator, the stock crank has to be used!!! the 426 max wedges are fast!!!!
they have to run a heavy rod and piston weight. the RPM them past 7000 RPM. and live!!
It'll take power!!!! mopar's max wedge and hemi cranks were well built. just food for thought.

Thank you perfacar, this make sense... I´m building a ´68 Race Hemi for my SS/B Tribute Barracuda, like these cars were raced in year one and two. Prior to any major changes were done to them i.e. Now, was crank shaft in the SS cars any other than in the ´68 street Hemi cars? I do not think so. Other than maybe a special blueprint makeover...
So what You say is, I can build the engine and feel as safe, as if the crank would have come from a ´66 and later Street Hemi Engine.
Thank You Guys

Hi Stefan, I just read your build thread, how is the Fish coming along. Any updates of the build?
//Swedefish

Hi Stefan, I just read your build thread, how is the Fish coming along. Any updates of the build?
//Swedefish

:) Yes Hi, Well summers been all work, but still moving forward, and have found many of them special parts that came with this package... Next would be the building of the k-member, as I have a block now... Probably pick up the thread after Holidays.

:) Yes Hi, Well summers been all work, but still moving forward, and have found many of them special parts that came with this package... Next would be the building of the k-member, as I have a block now... Probably pick up the thread after Holidays.
Sounds great, I´ll subscribe the build thread so that I can followe your build. Would be great to visit you at some time since I´m not that far from you.
I do wonder if we haven´t been in touch by the phone some years ago?

Sounds great, I´ll subscribe the build thread so that I can followe your build. Would be great to visit you at some time since I´m not that far from you.
I do wonder if we haven´t been in touch by the phone some years ago?

Yes, now that you say so. Remember your big block. You can also follow me on fb BO Wannabe, and we can keep contact...

Is that a 66 block? You are aware that 66 blocks came with inferior maincaps. Not all blocks that year had the weak caps but a large percentage did. If the caps are original its highly recommended they be replaced.

Is that a 66 block? You are aware that 66 blocks came with inferior maincaps. Not all blocks that year had the weak caps but a large percentage did. If the caps are original its highly recommended they be replaced.

Thank You hangout for your concern... and yes it has already been done. I also consult my best friend, Larry Shepard... or his book rather :) His Hemi Book is a good investment when you don´t know experienced Hemi guys to consult. But again, FABO is great thanks to you guys...

-
Back