426 wedge

-

713404spd

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I found a supposedly running 426 wedge for sale for 550 the only problem is that it is an industrial engine (casting no. 2658836). Are these engines worth anything? What is the differences in this and the max wedge? I read that there were no exhaust valve reliefs in this block where there was in the max wedge. If I get it I will be installing it in a 64 sport fury that belonged to my uncle. He died last month and I am helping his 17 year old son build the car. Any help will be appreciated!!! Thank you.

If it's an industrial engine, it's probably a 413. I don' tthink Chrysler ever made an industrial 426 wedge motor. But still......with Chrysler, I never say never.

Don't get all dreamy eyed over terminology like 413, 426, or wedge.

There were TONS of 413s, 426s, and 440s put into industrial/ truck/ motorhome applications

The PRINCIPLE difference between a PERFORMANCE RB and an industrial one is

The pistons (compression), cam, and the rest of the top end---cam and heads

So what you MAY have there is a useable short block.

Some industrial engines even had way different heads/ water pump setups, which for passenger car use you just as well toss in the junk can.

Moved and like the guys said, it would be sad to find out that after spending the $550 what you end up with is a short block cuss the rest if the inards (cam/crank/heads) are unuseable. I'd take that 550 and buy a none quanity 440 block and start from the ground and I'm sure that if you put the word out on FABO you'd find that several members would love to part with thier RB and sweat deals to boot.

Thankyou for the replies. I have a 440 we could put in it but he wants a 426 because that was his daddy's dream. I have also found an actual max wedge block I forget if it's a stage 1 or2 I can get for 500 im sure it would need machine work but it is what it is. What I have to work with is a set of 62 and a set of 63 max wedge heads. A complete 413 but I don't think they make pistons for those. A 74 model 400 that needs rebuild and a strong running hp 440. What I'm thinking is to donate him my 440 while he builds a 426. Which route do yall think I should take?

What I was trying to get across to you earlier. A "stage I or II" IS NOT A MAX WEDGE It's just a medium performance 426. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL about a 426. Without SPECIFICALLY the pistons, cam, and heads, intake and exhaust, that came with Stage III (Max Wedge)--it's "just a block."

You say you have two sets of "max wedge" heads? REALLY? I'd like to see photos of those.

Their at my cousins house. I'm going by what my uncle told me on the heads. I think the 62 heads were closed chambered weren't they? And that block might have been stage 3 because when my uncle ran the numbers he went wild. I'll have to check on that block again soon to make sure

i used to have the specs to make stage 2 heads out of stage one but i lost them. there was absolutely no difference in performance in stage 2 and stage 3. before the flames start i HAD the specs. from chry. had a hell of an argument with herb mc/clandess over that. old man has to eat crow over edited statement on reliefs on the block though went back and looked and i was wrong. last max wedge i had apart was 1969 guess that sometimer thing is setting in. the 2 heads had the relief under the intake machined then they cast it in in the 3. i did try them on the same engine though

Stg II and Stg III max wedge have different cams and different compression pistons. Carbs were not the same from 63 to 64 either. Any 413 can be bored to 426. The magic is in the heads and of course the cross ram. Industrial engines are not performance and they did use 426 blocks for the industrial stuff too.

Hello everybody. I found a supposedly running 426 wedge for sale for 550 the only problem is that it is an industrial engine (casting no. 2658836). Are these engines worth anything? What is the differences in this and the max wedge? I read that there were no exhaust valve reliefs in this block where there was in the max wedge. If I get it I will be installing it in a 64 sport fury that belonged to my uncle. He died last month and I am helping his 17 year old son build the car. Any help will be appreciated!!! Thank you.

Best way to get some help is to post some pictures. Some of the industrial engines use passenger car heads, other used special heads. Without seeing what you have nobody can help you.

easiest way to tell if they are max wedge is the size of the intake runner and the exhaust valves, mostly the intake runners and intake port opening. grab an RB intake and mate it up to the max wedge head. The top of the port will be off about a 1/4 inch and will actual hang over the RB engines intake manifold runner.
I ran them in the 80's on a small stroked 440 (466) and had to have an intake modified for them back then. today might be a different story though.

Pics will tell the story. Take a pic of the intake side of the heads and post em. Let me ask this question. In the center of the four intake ports on the heads is there a horseshoe shaped port in the center? Yes or no?
Small Block

Pics will tell the story. Take a pic of the intake side of the heads and post em. Let me ask this question. In the center of the four intake ports on the heads is there a horseshoe shaped port in the center? Yes or no?
Small Block
Sorry to interupt , but i have an old 413 with the horse shoe in the center of the head on intake side , what does thatt mean

Sorry to interupt , but i have an old 413 with the horse shoe in the center of the head on intake side , what does thatt mean

Head crossover, All Mopar heads have them, unless they are "max" heads

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.co...er_heads+factory_chrysler_big_block_heads.jpg

I believe some of the weird motorhome and heavy truck engines had special heads with WATER, not exhaust in the crossover Some of the "heavy truck" engines, both small and big block, use Ferd (18mm) spark plugs, and the RB engines have the weird water pump setup that hooks to the front of the special heads

-
Back