440 2x4 setup

-

1967BarracudaGeorge

Reaction score
I bought this matched AFB primary and secondary carbs years ago and my 2x4 intake with the Barracuda.
I can't remember if there's a number tag on them or not and they're not convenient to access right now.
Can anyone tell by the style the approximate years these would be from? Apparently I'll have to find, or make an adapter to run these on this manifold.

received_583869823878035.jpeg

received_787416529217218.jpeg

received_1188950451803960.jpeg

They look to me like a bolt on.
Does not matter if the Manifold holes are bigger than carbs.
383 Roaderunner had a mamifold hole much bigger than primary on carb.
The Carter AFBs were made for almost forever and are a great cab and easy to
get parts for still!

Try to find or make a progressive linkage for them.

They look like GM [ Pontiac ] because of the fuel inlets. Might be wrong.

Those will be veeeeeeeeeeeery hard to tune. Notice there is no idle speed screw. Idle speed is set by the large brass screw in front. Model #, 4 digits, should be stamped on one of the mounting feet.

Is it just me or does the base plate bolt pattern on the carburetors look bigger than the bolt patterns on the intake?

No, I think the carb bolt pattern will fit. Every AFB I have seen has 'wide' mounting feet, capable of the dual bolt pattern. You can see in the pics some of the mounting feet have two holes, others just have the inner hole that fits this intake.

The reason I was confused is because I have a cast iron 440 single carb intake and it has much bigger secondary holes compared to the primaries.
I also have one Offey cross ram adapter. I bought a second one, but it was for the Holley bolt pattern. Same part number. If I can find another correct adapter, would these carbs work for cross ram applications?
These carbs were advertised as Mopar. When I can get to them, I'll write the numbers down.

If needed it is Easy to drill another hole in each
Carb if necessary = Use a gasket for a template.
Ram can be drilled if there is enough metal.

Post the numbers and we can help more!

Not a fan of the Offy Ram adapters.

The carbs look identical to the original AFB on my 66 GTO. Carb #s of that era were 38XX to about 40XX.

-
Back