440/520 Stroker with max wedge exhaust manifolds question

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has any body done this in an A body ?
From watching Dyno runs I see 20 hp loss vs headers. I'll take the loss to reduce the chisel, frig, reducing heat factor. I need to know if the manifolds will fit in a 70 Dart ??

These?
1664462593719.png

No, not within a reasonably stock A body engine bay.

Out of my wheelhouse, but since they were designed for B bodies, I would assume so- maybe with some exceptions like power steering or power brakes. A search over at FBBO or FCBO should answer that question.
Edit: Or are you asking if B and C body manifolds fit A bodies? That answer is yes, but with some caveats- not a straight bolt-in (at least on the driver's side). i.e. steering column/sleeve interference that needs to be worked around.

Last edited:
520 CI's needs to breath, I think the HP loss will be much greater than 20, much.

Those came on 62-64 b-bodies. Go look at one and see how far from the firewall to the engine. Those cars have the engines moved forward From the factory.

measure from the back exhaust port to the back of the manifold. Those manifolds won’t come close to fitting in the A body.

43B5B5D4-5AC2-420C-B43B-C86D0299C55C.jpeg

why not change the K frame to a tubular setup?

If you really want to use those heavy monsters you could reverse them and run the exhaust out the front. lol
I believe there is someone on the board that did it that way on an A-body.
I saved this pic from the forum a long time ago. I don't know any of the details , I just thought it looked cool.

dart swinger 72.jpg

Out of my wheelhouse, but since they were designed for B bodies, I would assume so- maybe with some exceptions like power steering or power brakes. A search over at FBBO or FCBO should answer that question.
Edit: Or are you asking if B and C body manifolds fit A bodies? That answer is yes, but with some caveats- not a straight bolt-in (at least on the driver's side). i.e. steering column/sleeve interference that needs to be worked around.
[/URL][/URL]
The max manifolds aren't a great fit in 66-up b-bodies either. They were in 62-64 cars with the engine mounted a couple inches farther forward than the 66-up. Different K-member. Also, the max cars used a single pot master, the later double pots don't fit great either.
Edit: I see 413 tree'd me! Lol.

Is a BB A-body heavy enough for you without those in the mix? Also all that cast iron holds lots of Heat.

why do we build 500+cubic on a bodies? for power and speed, these things don’t fit that theme.

the cost a lot $$ and slow the car down, plus they won’t fit without a hassle. Don’t invest in them, or sell them and get the headers it needs.

Last edited:
Use a 400 block instead of a 440 block, & you will save about 3/4" in overall width.
Incidentally, those ' manifolds' in the above pics ARE headers. They have individual primary ' pipes ' & have a collector. They differ only from tube type headers in the length of the pri pipes.

Is a BB A-body heavy enough for you without those in the mix? Also all that cast iron holds lots of Heat.

why do we build 500+cubic on a bodies? for power and speed, these things don’t fit that theme.

the cost a lot $$ and slow the car down, plus they won’t fit without a hassle. Don’t invest in them, or sell them and get the headers it needs.
I found a repopped set for $1200

I hav
Use a 400 block instead of a 440 block, & you will save about 3/4" in overall width.
Incidentally, those ' manifolds' in the above pics ARE headers. They have individual primary ' pipes ' & have a collector. They differ only from tube type headers in the length of the pri pipes.
I have a set of max wedge manifolds and they are a far cry from a header, just a hogged out heavy manifold.

I hav

I have a set of max wedge manifolds and they are a far cry from a header, just a hogged out heavy manifold.
I have a 77 truck block 400 . I was thinking that if I don't use a 440 block for a 520, I'll use the 400 block for a 512

Fishmen, your post #20.
I was referring to the pic in post #2. Whatever they fit, they are headers.

A header is a collection of individual pipes or runners that merge into a common area, known as a collector.
Post #2 fits that description.

Fishmen, your post #20.
I was referring to the pic in post #2. Whatever they fit, they are headers.

A header is a collection of individual pipes or runners that merge into a common area, known as a collector.
Post #2 fits that description.
They look tuned to me

-
Back