440 6 pack jet, power valve and float needle and seat questions

-

shutudown4

Reaction score
I’m rebuilding my 1970 440 6 pack set up and need answers regarding best jet size, power valve and gloat needle and seat parts to use. It’s going on a 440 motor stroked out to 526 in.
Two different Holley technicians told me it IS a streetable setup even w the 350 cfm center carb.
It just needs larger primary jets bumped up to a larger size - approximately 65s
But didn’t have info re: power valve and float needle and seats
Anybody have any answers, ideas?
Thank you
Shutudown4

Start with std jetting. A bigger engine doesn't necessarily mean bigger jets because the bigger engine creates more depression [ suction ] & pulls more fuel.
A good example is in the MP bulletins. A TQ on 340-360 had 0.169" sec jets. TQ on a 440 had 0.137" sec jets.

I am a lot larger than that with my sb stroker. Engine leans over with 65's. Depends on the gas your using also. As far as the power valve, depends on your vacuum. Yes, big cubes do draw harder.
Make sure that you get the correct carb base gaskets for a 6-pack . They do make different needles and seats, large window ones would probably be better.
Picture, note the thin black line on the left side of the gasket, that's a big vacuum leak on the center carb. Same gasket won't work on the end carbs either, interference with the throttle blades. Got them from Chicago carb, threw them all away cause they were stock from 3 years ago. Promax base on rear carb? Promax conversion to jets from metering plates?

20240331_154643.jpg

-
Back