440 78 truck???

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. My buddy has a friend thats has a 78 2wd truck that has a 440 in it. I am told it runs but the trans slips bad. He is wanting to sell the truck for $500. I need body parts for my 75 Power Wagon, but not sure if I want the 440. If it runs what do you think its worth? I have not heard it run yet but hope to get there this weekend. And it depends on if the body has what I need for my truck if I get it or not. Whats your thoughts???

Also easy way to tell if 440, 400, or 383...

The price is very reasonable for that truck if all it needs is some transmission work. It would be worth fixing and reselling.

If it is a factory 440 truck and numbers matching it is worth some money. It ia rare truck...

the motor mounts,oil pan and pick up and the exhaust manifolds usually bring a few $$$$ for Big block trucks.

Where to look to see if its factory 440? I have had my truck 16 years but never looked in all the datails of it. What I mean is, unlike the cars, I don't see a VIN tag under the hood to get any options off of.
Once I finish or get where I wanna be on the dart, I will start on my truck. But if the 78 is worth more fixed up, factory 440, I would fix it and sell for money to get my truck project underway. I just need more info. Where on line can I find more info? Thank all for the help so far.

The VIN tag should be on the drivers side door or on the door pillar.

X2 and your looking for an "A" or a "D" in the 5th digit of the VIN number if its factory 440, being 78 Its not factory 383 even if it has it stuffed into it the VIN is on the drivers door or door pillar it will look simular to this one. if its factory 440 and is decent shape DON'T JUNK IT!!! put a tranny in it and resell it if you don't want it to fund you power wagon build.

Attachments

• VIN_plate_2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 280
This thread is making me miss my factory 440 '78 Ramcharger. :-(

Thanks guys. I meant to say fender tag:toothy10:. my 75 has the VIN tag on the door well in the glove box. I replaced the door a long time ago and have not mounted it:angry7:. Swinger 367- you say there should be a tag on the core support? 66plyvaliant- so I need to look for "A" or "D", got it.
I know where to look on SB for the engine ID, but where to look on the BB's? Don't worry guys, if it is a true BB truck and my wife will let me get it, I will save it. May fix and sell or just sell:cheers:. I won't keep it. Keep an eye on the for sale section

If you are lucky and it is still there the metal tag will be on the core support on the drivers side. And if you are really lucky there will be a paper equipment tag glued to the underside of the hood. The tag will not have a breakdown of options, just the VIN, cab, wheel base, and paint code(s) Good luck, and even if it is a 400 and not a 440 the big block truck guys would love the engine mounts, exhaust, radiator etc. You should have no problem selling the parts on Moparts.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 232
I wish I would have never sold my factory 440 4x4 extended cab 8' bed.
The truck was pretty, factory black with gold top.
If I remember right it was an Adventure.
What I do remember was 4 mpg.

Jeff,where are you going to get a truck you need and parts that you can sell or keep for 500$,its a done deal,get it and forget it,if its rusted on the frame,part it out and triple your money ,its a no brainer,mrmopartech

If you are lucky and it is still there the metal tag will be on the core support on the drivers side. And if you are really lucky there will be a paper equipment tag glued to the underside of the hood. The tag will not have a breakdown of options, just the VIN, cab, wheel base, and paint code(s) Good luck, and even if it is a 400 and not a 440 the big block truck guys would love the engine mounts, exhaust, radiator etc. You should have no problem selling the parts on Moparts.
If it's an original 440 pickup, the 5th digit should be a "D". The "A" code engines (440-3) were for industrial applications....some 1 ton duallies and bigger. The equipment sticker on the hood usually gives the major options and engine size. The emission sticker/vacuum diagram on the inside of the hood will also give engine size. Sometimes the valve cover on the engine will also have a sticker with size, tuneup, and emission info. There should also be a VIN sticker on the drivers' side door jam above the latch striker. I've also found build sheets in the usual places......taped to the back of the glove box insert, top of steering column, behind the seat back under the springs, under the carpet or rubber floor mat, and inside the door panels.

Thanks for all the info guys. I still have not gone to look at the truck. I have drove by it before and the body seams straight. I dont remember seeing any rust. My plan was to use the body for my 75 and seel what I don't need. But if it is a factory big block and my wife agrees, I will buy it then sell for a small profit. the use the profit to get parts needed for my 75. I will update this thread when I have more info. I do hope it is a big block, even if I don't want it.

You can tell if the motor is a 440 by looking at the hand stamped data pad that is a small flat area just in front of the intake and towards the drivers side. Here are two pictures of my 440's data plate in my 83, 2WD Ram Charger, (the motor and 727 trans came from a 77 motorhome with 47,000 miles). The one picture was taken for the steering pump mount points but you can see the plate in the upper right.
For $500, I would snatch that truck right up! I spent an entire afternoon in a pull-yard today and not a single truck had a big block. There were a few 360's, but almost all were 318's or slant-6.
My data plate read as follows in two lines. Line one was 6T440TE, and second line was 12 3. This translates into the following;
6= 1976
T= Trenton plant
440= engine size
T= Truck
E= cast crank
12= December
3= day of month (Dec 3, 1976 engine was assembled)

I got the casting numbers of the passenger side, bottom of the block. It had three lines that read as follows;
9 25 75= Sept 25, 1975 (date the block was cast)
4006630-440-7= casting sequence number and eng size
DN= day or night shift
There was also a clock face which would tell you during what time of which shift the block was cast, pretty neat huh?! But there was too much gunk for me to read it. I've only had the truck less than a week so I have lots of cleaning to do.
Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• 000_2161.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 000_2166.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 170
Thanks Jeff for all the info. I have not been on here much since I got laid off. It seams now that I'm not working I have no time for the computer. Funny huh? I did not know you got a new truck. I need to check it out.

-
Back