440 build help

-

hemitt

Reaction score
ok i got a 440 out of a newyorker thats going in my duster this winter. im trying to get info on what if all i should do to motor these are items already bought.. msd dist. eddy rpm manifold gasket kit. reverse manuel valve body (727) valve covers. mini starter... i dont know if i should go into motor and do pistons or what not. motor runs great in newyorker so shouldnt have issues with it breaking on me.. so should i go into motor and if so what cam torque converter headers should i be looking at and im not trying to spend awhole lot but you know how that goes when building a mopar... and if possible what would you say it would run if i didnt get into the motor (1/4) times.... i have 72 duster 4.56 gears spooled ford 9" rear ladder bar, CE 3 way front qa1 in back.. not sure on wieght im guessing 3k give or take full caged car.. any more info let me know. thanks

and forgot tire size et street 295/65/15 its mini tubbed...im running a 360 in my car this year and its a very mild build at 4700 feet above sea level and im running fast time of 13.84 shifting at 5600rpms if that helps anyone. and 60ft. are a very slow time of 2.03s....lol

Need to see what heads are on it and go from there, just a stock 440 runs good and has butt loads of torque, get a cam to work with the heads the pick out a torque converter to match the cam and gear ratio. Sounds like a good intake you have picked out, get some good ignition and have a decent car to play with. And some headers if you can squeeze em in.

ya not to sure on what heads the newyorker came with my goals is at least hit the 12s and i am running msd ignition i got the dist. 6al-2 box and 8.5 wires so should be good there just not sure on converter im guessing maybe a 3800-4000 stall? but not to good with numbers to fig. out cam and all that

What year is this 440, starting in 72 they dropped compression, IMO by 75 they were pigs in mamouth clothing, a family member had a 74 NYer & man what a dog, i had a 69 & it was a monster. If its a later model i'm sure it'll have 452 heads, these are decent heads for what you want, you can make them run into the 11s in a somewhat lightened A body with a stock longblock, the compression is VERY low on the later models, i'm talking 7.6/7.8.1, yeah that low, i'd run a bare minimum of a 28" tire under it with 4.56 gears, a set of shoe-moch-er "lol" headers should work too, there a stepped header & abit more restrictive then the others, but there a breeze to install, your intake is a good choice, i'd go with a somewhat milder cam, nothing crazy, but if you don't mind tuneing it, the .484 MP cam will run great, or the XE274H, & around a 9.5" 3600-3800 stall from a reputable company like PTC or Dynamic, don't even think about a "shitty" TCI, a 750dp & a good dist. that you can tune in the timing curve, i'd run around 16-17* int. & 34-35* total, all in around 22-2400 RPMs. Now with you being at that alt. level if you want 11s (beleive me you will in no time) you should install FT pistons & get the compression up. I would also say don't worry about the stock heads or any porting & such, i ran 10.9s @ 121 on a set of stock BB heads (bone stock), set your sites on other areas.

its a 71 newyorker so im hoping better comp? and joedust the tires im running are bout 29.6" tall i belive. and just by chance does anyone know the heads they ran on 71? and i am new to this i know what the stall in converters is but what does the inch size of the converter deal with cuz i know on my small block i think its 11" 2200-2400 stall might sound dumb but if anyone could let me know..thanks for the input joedust anyone else?

71 I would guess either 906, or 346 castings. You can find the #'s by pulling a valve cover, it's the last 3 digits. Either head flows about the same, neither had hardened seats, but I wouldn't get too concerned over that. I think compression was down a little for '71, but still listed at 9.7:1. As for the converter, generally the smaller the unit, the higher the stall. Performance converters start at 11" and go down in size. If the engine is left stock, or nearly so, I think a 3,500+ rpm converter should work just fine.

its a 71 newyorker so im hoping better comp? and joedust the tires im running are bout 29.6" tall i belive. and just by chance does anyone know the heads they ran on 71? and i am new to this i know what the stall in converters is but what does the inch size of the converter deal with cuz i know on my small block i think its 11" 2200-2400 stall might sound dumb but if anyone could let me know..thanks for the input joedust anyone else?

Hemitt, You have the last of the good ones, its quit possibly a steel crank engine, compression barely dropped in 71 if any at all, i don't think it did, I'll tell you the "true" compression on that 440 is about 8.7-8.8 & thats it, the 6 pack 440s were around 9.5-9.6, the heads should be 906s, pull a VC & look, man i'd love to have that engine :-D

If you want it to run great, go with a 9.5" 36-3800 stall, like i said, if its a good quality converter it'll act stock untill you "flash" it, i'm assumeing this is primarily a track car right? Even a weekend street warrier will do great with a stall like that, especially with 4.56 gears, the 29.6" tires will be just about perfect with the 4.56 gear, so your good there, if you have any other questions, you can PM me if you'de like 8).

just go into the motor at least far enough to install a new timing set. the mopar 484 cam and kit will work great with every hting the other fellows listed for you.

thanks guys sounds like i got a pretty good deal on the newyorker then.. i got the car without a shell for sum reason they took it off?? but has everything which i liked for $350 plus i can drive it around lol not very pretty though...ok just wondering off any ones head say i did 3800 stall left the pistons alone put the parts ive listed i already have put the headers from shoemocher did prbly the small purple cam in it what u guys think it would run?

Do you run at Bandimere? Just asking so guys can consider the "mile-high" part when guessing et's.
I live in South Jersey. I visited a friend in Colorado with my low 13 second Mustang. It ran 14.40's there! (I did baby it a bit, being 1800 miles from home.) It felt like it was running on 7 cylinders.
Nothing AT ALL WRONG with that! It was one of those, "that's different" experiences.
Your car's gonna run good. You might want to consider more compression because of the altitude, though. You probably know what it'll take to compensate for the altitude, since you live there. I know from my experience there, everyone has a different way of thinking.

ya kinda sucks this high up but im in pueblo mostly racing there at 4700 above sea level..but ya to get where i want here it takes alot more hp/money lol thats why i was shooting for a realistic goal of in 12s here so when i go to great bend, ks ill be in 11s lol im glad you have experienced the mile high it shows and feels like 2 diff cars.

-
Back