440 cam selection question

-
Most of the time you will find you have a mile of clearance. Mopar's are known for that, chevy not so much.
Hughes will get you going for sure, they know camshafts.
That's good to know.
I built a 351w based 393 stroker. I had a 585/612 roller cam, TRW flattop pistons with valve reliefs.
I lost the Mustang in hurricane Ike and ended up selling the engine before I got to hear it run.

Might be a bit much lift for stock rocker arms. One size smaller might suit you well for a street car.

What torque converter are you going to run?

There's no real way to know your P/V clearance until the short block is mocked up and you know the piston to deck height.

There's no real way to know your P/V clearance until the short block is mocked up and you know the piston to deck height.

I've come to the same conclusion. I was going to mock it up to see, then I remembered I still have to get the block bored .03 over.
Whatever cam I use, it will have to work with flattop pistons with no valve relief. When I get the assembly to that point, I won't be willing to tear it down to notch the pistons.
The purple cam might be the one of choice, but I'm willing to go as big as I can use with clearance.

Get the block machining done, install the crank and number one piston and rod assembly. Measure the deck height. With that number you can figure compression ratio and get an idea of piston to valve clearance. No need to build the whole short block first.

-
Back