440 Cam Selection

-

1969Fish

Reaction score
Looking to put a new cam in my drag car

It is a 440 .030 over. Heavy dome piston, steel crank, all balanced, 1:5 rockers, eddy heads (88cc), m1 intake, 850 double pumper, 4.88 gear 31.25" tall tire. Tf 727 trans, 10" 3000 stall converter, no e bracket racer. 2" primary headers.

Any suggestions on lift and duration or a cam shaft y'all have ran that works well for this setup?

Also is a roller cam worth the money??

I like to hear all opinions.

I would say roller cam so that you can just buy oil off the shelf from walmart. This way you don't have to pay extra for the "hot rod" oil that contains extra zddp. The cost savings there will pay for the roller cam.

As far as lift and stuff. Depends what you want to do with the engine. Right there you have a nice list of parts. Is that M1 Intake single plane or dual? You can go pretty aggressive with a big block. I went somewhat conservative on my small block with a XE268 cam from CompCams, but you can go more with big block.

You can buy off the shelf oil for a flat tappet. You just need to but oil with over 1,000ppm zinc. Mobil one makes several.

On to the cam and the OP. I have a very similar setup to yours. The cam I currently run and have run once before is the MPP 284/.528 solid. Both cars go mid 11's.

My recommendation to you is to run that MPP cam or if you want a little more the crane 681241

My uncle had the roughly the same motor, 440, l2295 pistons, template ported 906 heads,six pack rods, .590 Mopar cam, six pack intake, 4.56 gears in a 3800lb 72 roadrunner ran a best of 11.40 until it ejected a rod at englishtown

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 298
I like to Mopar 296/557 solid cam. It works well and makes good power. I went 11.30's in a 440 a body with 9.0 flat tops.

I'd be real hesitant to run a MPP cam (grind profiles are ok) now a days. I've been told by a few reputable engine builders the production quality just isn't there.

How heavy is the car? What rpm are you currently trapping at?

i like 590 solidlift has a nice rumble to it and since i swapped it out for 540 hyd. roller i kinda miss lighting the wheels up at 80 mle an hour?

-
Back