440 cam timing

-

Golden_commando

Reaction score
I'm building a budget 440 with 9-1 compression used performer intake and a stock cam non hp, engine is a 69 , just for street burn some rubber to have some fun, the cam gears have slots for advanced and retarded 4 degrees, how should I install it? straight advanced or retard it?

I'm building a budget 440 with 9-1 compression used performer intake and a stock cam non hp, engine is a 69 , just for street burn some rubber to have some fun, the cam gears have slots for advanced and retarded 4 degrees, how should I install it? straight advanced or retard it?
advance, more low end, retard more top end. Barely noticeable tho on a big engine. most cam manufacturers have a recommendation. I`ve never had a comp cam that they didn`t recommend 4 degrees advanced. Old cam dynamics 785 lift roller -straight up .

I was looking on the service manual of 1969 and looks like that the lsa is 113 and icl is 110 so it is already 3 degrees advanced? Should I install it more 4 degrees?

If they don't have a specific recommendation I'd install it straight up 2 degrees advanced.

I recommend you get a degree wheel and learn how to use it... it's not hard, and without it you have no idea where your cam is before you start advancing or retarding!
Could be "out" a large number of degrees (cam ground on the wrong CL, gear marked wrong or mis-indexed, etc.)

^^Here's the thing........sometimes tolerances add up against you. A local friend had me help him degree a cam in a small block. "We asked here." Turns out that cam produced power WAY too high RPM to be of much use in a torquey street engine. I forget but I think with the tolerances he had and advancing the cam the desired amount, we moved it something like SIX degrees. he had a multi-key cam drive, not the "3 key" setup

The answer is, "it depends."

I was looking on the service manual of 1969 and looks like that the lsa is 113 and icl is 110 so it is already 3 degrees advanced? Should I install it more 4 degrees?

The ICL is where they are saying to install it. That doesn't mean it is "already" 3* advanced.

If I were you and running a stock cam, I would stab it in straight up and not even worry about it.

Don't know if 440 is the same as 383, the 383 is dot/dot 12'o clock @tdc 1st cyl

-
Back