440 conversion

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 65 dart GT with the original slant 6/904 combo.

it also came with a 440 and 727 out of a 67 imperial police intercepter,
how much work would have to be done to put this beastly engine into my dart?or world it be worth it to just sell it and buy a small block?

it can be done, but its gonna be tough. the 440 is a bit wider than a b block, maybe 1 1/4-1 1/2". headers require cutting the fenderwalls. heres a pic of a 383 with hipo manifolds. it is TIGHT!

engine top view.JPG

I can't be of help with the early A body, but if you do end up selling the 440 and tranny I may be interested. I'm also in AZ, and I've just started a '70 race car project. The car I'm working on had a 440 in it at one time.

yea, ill think about it

but would it really be worth it to sell it and buy a 273, 340 or 360?

dony give up on the bigblock. find a 383 0r a 400. schumacher was making motor mounts. its not impossible, just takes some creative thinking.

im only 15, i dont have all the money, or time in the world
so ill probobly sell the 440 localy on craigslist
and buy a remaned 360 for $1200
my car only weighs 3000 lbs so that should be quick enough

Wow, an Imperial Police Interceptor. That's gotta be a pretty special one-of-none engine. There were no imperial cop cars, nor did Imperials get the 375 hp 440 (which was GTX or R/T only for 67). Besides "Police Interceptor"s as Ford as "posi" is Chevy.

If you plan to run it on the street, even a little bit, a worked LA motor is the way to go. Trade that 440 on a set of used W-2 heads, build a 408 and mop up the streets. Oh yeah, decent headers will cost more than you paid for the car...

sounds good, wheres the cheapest place to find parts to build a worked LA engine?

408 sounds badass
especialy in a light little 65 dart

Cheapest way to get started is to get a 318 and a 904 trans from a 70's or 80's diplomat, gran fury, volare, aspen, newer dart etc. With the correct mounts and center link for the steering, its a drop in. Look for a running set up, that someone is ripping out to replace with a big block or some such thing. Your local bone yard might be a good place to look as well. Check ebay, moparts, and this websites swap meet section for deals. I bet you can get a good used running specimen for less than 500 with a trans. I had a 318 and several 904's given to me for free, just to get rid of them. The 318 turned out to be completely rebuilt - not junk !! Thats whats in my 66 now.

Throw a stock 340 grind cam in it, with the matching valve springs and a new timing set, a 4bbl intake and carb - slap it in the car and be happy. It will be low comp ratio etc, but it should run nicely. If you put too much power into the car the peanut 7-1/4 axle will blow up anyway.

Save your pennies for the axle upgrade and disc brakes you will want, later on you can figure the bigger motor out.

i already have a 727 laying arround, it came off a 440, will it adapt to a small block?

and im going to get an 8 3/4 rear end sometime in the near future

a new disc break setup cost over $1000, so ill probobly pull one off a 70-74 dart and use it.

What can i do about the steering box?

Is the steering box manual or power ? If manual I'd leave it. You need the space in the engine bay for headers etc.

it can be done, but its gonna be tough. the 440 is a bit wider than a b block, maybe 1 1/4-1 1/2". headers require cutting the fenderwalls. heres a pic of a 383 with hipo manifolds. it is TIGHT!

Hey how you coming on you car? Got any updated pictures of your car? What part number are you manifolds?

putting the 440 in is the easy part.... its the headders that are a problem.... i had custom ones made when i did my 440 64 valiant... they were fenderwells but far from the butcher job you have to do to a 67-up with hooker or headman fenderwell headders...

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

Nice car A-body Joe
Ive decided to keep the 440/727
and rebuild it as i drive the car with the slant 6

Do i have to modify the frame because of all of torque the 440 makes?

what do i do about the power steering box?

soon i will be looking for a 8 3/4 rear end,

It also has the little 9 inch drum breaks all arround, what could i do about that?

Hi Adam
I was thinking about it and maybe you should just get a 318 or 360 and we can build it while you drive the /6. It would be badass and everyone that rode in the car would take a big juicy dump in thier pants but we can build even a 318 pretty nicely to run low 14s in the Dart and it'll be cheaper and way easier. We can pull a 318, an 8.25" rear, a 904 trans and a driveshaft from the yard. We can both build the 318 with an edelbrock carb, intake manifold, camshaft and lifter kit and valve springs, a cloyes double roller timing chain set, stock heads (or swirl port heads if you have the money), flowtec headers and 2.25" duals with flowmasters, and of course electronic ignition and a Chrysler orange box ECU. That combo should make good power till 6000 rpm with no mechanical complaints. With stock heads, that's good for almost 300 horse, and with ported swirl ports, 330. I'll take care of building the trans. A 2500 stall, kevlar bands, Raysbestos Z-pack clutches, koleen steels and an increase in line pressure should work nicely. Even with 2.76 gears, the Dart would fly, but with 3.55s or 3.90s you'd have a beast. All that will still take less time and effort than retro-fitting the 440 into there, and won't cost an arm and a leg either. You could use a 360 and get even better results, but a 318 would fit in with probably no modifications at all.

ya im 18 wish i was in high school because when you in college you have no time specially if you play sports

Nice car A-body Joe
Ive decided to keep the 440/727
and rebuild it as i drive the car with the slant 6

Do i have to modify the frame because of all of torque the 440 makes?

what do i do about the power steering box?

soon i will be looking for a 8 3/4 rear end,

It also has the little 9 inch drum breaks all arround, what could i do about that?

add subframe connectors, get a manual steering box and disc brakes on the front. an 8 3/4 should have 10" drums which will be fine. search this site and you will find allmost everything you need to know to do what you need.

save the fat motor for an all out drag strip only car. it will be miserable to drive, feed, and steer on the street. a stout small block is much lighter, esp with alum heads, and will run right next to the big block cars if done properly.
remember power to weight ratio. if bang for the buck is a factor, forget the 318, a good 360/low1-2 904 is the way to go. i got my 66dart to run high 12s with a reringed 360 with magnum heads, summit cam/lifters, and 340 manifolds through the stock 3.23 geared single side 7.25 rear. weight is cheap horsepower.

-
Back