440 cylinder heads

-

Sterling

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am disassembling a 440 I just got, supposed to be from a 74 dodge truck. Has a set of 902 cylinder heads, I don't recall that number. Any good or scrap ?

Just depends on what you want. None of the factory cast iron heads are a great choice for a performance application, but they can be made to work if you're willing to spend the time and money. Cast iron heads aren't even a great choice for a street car since the valve seats get trashed by the unleaded gas. You can put hard seats in them but it might be cheaper to just buy new aluminum heads.

The 452 heads have hardened seats and the same valve size as the 906. Like mentioned, it depends on what you are looking to do.

Thank you for the replies. Going to get the block checked,water in #2 cyl. Steel crank is .010 on the rods already, looks like from the factory. Someone had it apart already, Fel-Pro head gaskets and double roller timing chain. All the upper half of the rod bearings were worn, #4 rod started to turn. Main bearings look ok. If the block is ok, will become a stroker with aluminum heads.
The 452 heads have hardened seats and the same valve size as the 906. Like mentioned, it depends on what you are looking to do.

20180805_155047.jpg

20180805_154941.jpg

20180805_154906.jpg

20180805_155425.jpg

You might be able to sell the heads for $50 at a swap meet, maybe $100 if someone is really hard up for a set of iron heads. I used to have a pallet full of cast iron heads and I thought I'd be able to make a little money selling them. I ended up scrapping a bunch of them. Almost zero interest in cast iron heads around here.

Good luck with the stroker project.

-
Back