440 for my RamCharger

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think this should wake my RamCharger up a little bit. What do y’all think?
Should be around 9:1 compression if my guesstimations are correct.
B835E345-4D4F-4009-A992-A5C95B5EFEA4.jpeg
61F6AAA1-EAD7-4697-9107-7B958AC8F096.jpeg
652FC72E-0B14-4775-8D59-73F14C1E7842.jpeg
B9D9989A-D741-48AF-AFB4-5450833DBA8C.jpeg

Last edited:
How would the compression only be 9:1 with 6 pack pistons? .080 head gaskets? Seems like it should be higher. Would you like to share your numbers for calculating this?

How would the compression only be 9:1 with 6 pack pistons? .080 head gaskets? Seems like it should be higher. Would you like to share your numbers for calculating this?
They are .050 head gaskets. These are 452 open chamber heads, I didn’t cc them, but based on what other people have cc’d their heads, I’m guessing it’s close. Here’s how I got that
912D368C-9886-4232-96CD-C6B55443B04F.png

That should definitely get it moving along. Are you using an NP435 Geometric transmission 6.68:1 first with 50% splits) or the NP445 close ratio (4.56 first with progressive splits) If it’s a primarily road going vehicle, the 445 would make it surprisingly quick.

That should definitely get it moving along. Are you using an NP435 Geometric transmission 6.68:1 first with 50% splits) or the NP445 close ratio (4.56 first with progressive splits) If it’s a primarily road going vehicle, the 445 would make it surprisingly quick.
For now it’s the 445. Eventually I want to get a Tremec TR4050 though.

Thanks for posting the numbers, and that wasn’t a guesstimate, you used a program. I like you head CC numbers. They are around 88-89.
So your piston is down .030?

the intake is a performer RPM with mopar on it.
They look pretty cool

Thanks for posting the numbers, and that wasn’t a guesstimate, you used a program. I like you head CC numbers. They are around 88-89.
So your piston is down .030?

the intake is a performer RPM with mopar on it.
They look pretty cool
I’m guessing at the head cc numbers, because I’ve read people had them anywhere between 75-90cc. Yes the pistons are .030 down at TDC

Looks like a sweet combo and I like that intake manifold as well. Really cool look. I thought stock 440's came with .020 head gasket, but I could be wrong. Is the .050 gasket intentional? Just curious, and that would tick the compression up a little.

Last edited:
Looks like a sweet combo and I like that intake manifold as well. Really cool look. I thought stock 440's came with .020 head gasket, but I could be wrong. Is the .050 gasket intentional? Just curious, and the would tick the compression up a little.
Not sure on the factory gasket thickness. I want to be able to run 87 octane in this, so I don’t want the CR too high, I figured 9:1 would be acceptable.

Not sure on the factory gasket thickness. I want to be able to run 87 octane in this, so I don’t want the CR too high, I figured 9:1 would be acceptable.

That does make sense, and that engine looks killer.

What year is the block? I am jealous of the bosses on the left front under the head. Mine 67 block doesn't have those, buy my 65 413 does.

Very nice, I'm in the process of building a 440 for my D200 now, I have a thread in the Big Block subforum. Mine is getting Icon forged pistons and Stealth heads, calculates out to also about 9:1 but I have to check after the pistons are installed and see how far down they actually are in the bores. I also bought the same intake as you since the Edelbrocks were out of stock, looks great with the sanded letters. I'm painting my block and heads gold and I'm thinking to paint the intake matte black to go with the Ansen Cal Custom valve covers I'm planning on using.

Also leaning towards a solid flat-tappet cam, better selection of lifters right now and I've just always wanted an engine with a solid cam they sound so cool.

I gave my RC to my son. its a 91, I bought new. he's converting it to a Cummings Deisel.
I'm getting old and have to get rid of things. these ole car parts weigh a lot more thanthey use to,LOL>
Dave

20160414_175041 (1).jpg

Yep !! Looking great :thumbsup:
My daily drivers for a bunch of years was three different ramchargers, but now (like many other older members ) i have reached the age that a newer truck is needed.

I still have that hood on my white Ramcharger, needs a good sanding and sealer. I built it back in 1998

FB_IMG_1569846489651.jpg

FB_IMG_1605711537110.jpg

FB_IMG_1605017097238.jpg

I'd daily an RC if it wasn't for the terrible gas mileage lol. I also prefer part-time 4x4 over full-time. I love driving my D200 but it consistently gets 10 MPG, hence the 440 swap... figure a healthy 440 at 9:1 will get about the same as a high-mileage (but tight) stock 360 at 8:1 comp and won't be working as hard to push the truck around, but it'll have roughly double the HP and at least 1.5x the torque. We'll see, hopefully the Street Demon carb helps too I've gotten pretty good at tuning it.

I'd daily an RC if it wasn't for the terrible gas mileage lol. I also prefer part-time 4x4 over full-time. I love driving my D200 but it consistently gets 10 MPG, hence the 440 swap... figure a healthy 440 at 9:1 will get about the same as a high-mileage (but tight) stock 360 at 8:1 comp and won't be working as hard to push the truck around, but it'll have roughly double the HP and at least 1.5x the torque. We'll see, hopefully the Street Demon carb helps too I've gotten pretty good at tuning it.
This one is dead on 9:1, but I’m still using iron heads.My old 318 was averaging about 8mpg, and was the slowest thing I’ve ever driven. So I figured a 440 COULDN’T be worse, unless I floor it every where lol. My RC came with an NP208 Tcase, so it is part time 4x4. I also have an NP241 that I’m thinking about using.

This one is dead on 9:1, but I’m still using iron heads.My old 318 was averaging about 8mpg, and was the slowest thing I’ve ever driven. So I figured a 440 COULDN’T be worse, unless I floor it every where lol. My RC came with an NP208 Tcase, so it is part time 4x4. I also have an NP241 that I’m thinking about using.

Right, I think it simply comes down to these old Dodge trucks just need a lot of oomph to push them around. I'm not entirely sure why tbh but everybody who has one is lucky to get mid-teens MPG and the motor they're running doesn't seem to make much difference. My guess is the 727 is a big power sucker and OD transmissions came along later than GM and Ford trucks, seems like Ford and GM trucks were also built a bit... lighter? Might just be bias lol

Any difference in the t-cases besides the slightly different low-range ratio? I thought RC's always came full-time from the factory but a quick search shows I'm wrong, maybe I'm thinking of Power Wagons?

Any difference in the t-cases besides the slightly different low-range ratio? I thought RC's always came full-time from the factory but a quick search shows I'm wrong, maybe I'm thinking of Power Wagons?
Maybe it was the 70s RCs that were all full time?
I think the only difference in the 208 and 241 is the low ratio. But I haven’t looked into it much yet

-
Back