440 going with efi?

-

73440abody

Reaction score
So I'm nearing the point in my build where I need to pick out a carb or go with efi.I'm very interested in checking out the possibilities of using efi. Does anybody have any experience with efi, and if so what systems, and did you enjoy it better or worse than a carb. Thanks

Depends man, what do you want? In detail.

Of course a TBI unit will be easier to not get smelly. But more costly. You can tune a carb REAL well with a stand alone wideband like I do.

Is this going to be a race car? Do you want the BEST TUNE EVAR? Or do you mostly street, visiting the track a couple times a year? How much do you plan on using the car?

Depends man, what do you want? In detail.

Of course a TBI unit will be easier to not get smelly. But more costly. You can tune a carb REAL well with a stand alone wideband like I do.

Is this going to be a race car? Do you want the BEST TUNE EVAR? Or do you mostly street, visiting the track a couple times a year? How much do you plan on using the car?

I`ve got a fast 2.0 on my 505" 440. not completely ready to drive yet, so no real help here. so far, not sorry I did it !

As an old guy, who has had his hands into probably nearly a HUNDRED carburetors over the years, "I am done with them." That is all.

Look up the thread on the new FItech TBI, which is quite inexpensive. Holley is working on a competitive produce, "The Sniper." I myself have gone (before the car came apart for paint) Holley HP

Theres MSD which has gained a LOT of traction in the last very few years, and lots of guys like FAST. There are others, I can't name them all.

Hey guys so yea, forgot to ad my details on use for the car. It's going to be mostly a street car, maybe a track day every now and then. Roughly 600hp with the trick flows. :) went to autorama today talk to the guy at the fitech booth, seemed like a quality product. I've heard several good things about the ez efi stuff as well. Has anyone had a bad experience, or is it mostly positive outcomes? Seems like whoever makes the switch doesn't turn back.

I'm running a megasquirt based setup on mine. It took a little time getting everything setup, but now it runs great. I tested out the cold start on mine a few weeks ago when it was about 20 degrees outside and it started first shot without a problem. When the carb was on , it would never do that.

I bought a FAST set up from Badass71, haven't installed it on anything yet. He had it on a 440 in a Dart but changed his engine out for more "affordability" on the street. He said he was very happy with the FAST system. He was very nice to talk to and I'm almost positive if you PM'd him he would likely tell you about it.

You need to have 10 inches of vacuum at idle for the fast self learning systems . They don't like wild cams.

Hey guys so yea, forgot to ad my details on use for the car. It's going to be mostly a street car, maybe a track day every now and then. Roughly 600hp with the trick flows. :) went to autorama today talk to the guy at the fitech booth, seemed like a quality product. I've heard several good things about the ez efi stuff as well. Has anyone had a bad experience, or is it mostly positive outcomes? Seems like whoever makes the switch doesn't turn back.

The only rant-able issues I have with FITech so far is the fact the ECU is mounted on the throttle body it's self, so maybe a heat shield is in order during install, and the hand held tuner is limited in it's resolution; 3x3 matrix instead of 16x10 or 16x16 that Holley, FAST, possibly MSD etc use. What that equates to in real life is up to the pro's to answer.

Whatever you choose, timing control can be a excellent addition and half or more of the reason to do computer management in the first place.

I plan to do FITech Meanstreet probably next summer $1,400 with the command center is a really good deal for 600hp support

You need to have 10 inches of vacuum at idle for the fast self learning systems . They don't like wild cams.

Pretty mild cam shouldn't be a problem. The fitech seems like a solid setup. Hard to find reviews with it being kinda new to the market

I talked to the FItech ppl at PRI for about 15 minutes; they seem to know what they're about. S/F....Ken M

As another old guy who has had my hands on several hundred to possibly a thousand or more carburetors through the years, I am still a carburetor guy. But I digress. I am jaded, because I was a dealership line tech at probably the worst time in history. All through the early years of OBD1 and the very beginning of OBD11.

A properly set up and tuned carbureted fuel system can almost rival a TBI unit. As long as you run a good dedicated return, electric pump or high flow mechanical with a regulator, you can have a very good performing and reliable carburetor.

But I will say that EFI technology has come a long way. IF I had the money to try it, I probably would give it a whirl. It has come a long way. But since I have never had a lot of money and probably never will, I will stick with carburetors. I know them better anyway.

I've done 2 more systems in the past month. Both were Holleys and worked out well. I ordered a fitech as well, but they seem to have supply issues as they dont have any.

As another old guy who has had my hands on several hundred to possibly a thousand or more carburetors through the years, I am still a carburetor guy. But I digress. I am jaded, because I was a dealership line tech at probably the worst time in history. All through the early years of OBD1 and the very beginning of OBD11.

A properly set up and tuned carbureted fuel system can almost rival a TBI unit. As long as you run a good dedicated return, electric pump or high flow mechanical with a regulator, you can have a very good performing and reliable carburetor.

But I will say that EFI technology has come a long way. IF I had the money to try it, I probably would give it a whirl. It has come a long way. But since I have never had a lot of money and probably never will, I will stick with carburetors. I know them better anyway.

Thanks for the insight. It's best to stick with what you know for sure. Money has no longer become an issue with my project since I've been working on it for so long. I'm sparing no expense. If it takes me another year it won't bother me one bit.

Just as long as you know all the cons, and can work with them or around them, your fine. FI tech has a coupon going on right now..

I did FAST system and had some issues with it. The trouble is when something goes wrong with it or if you need help with something, how available is the solution. A holley carb, parts and knowledge are plentiful.

I went with msd on my Charger, because it only has one pigtail on the back. I want the car to look stock. I have an aftermarket fuel tank built for fuel injection that looks stock. The pump is in the tank like it should be. The regulator is back by the tank so only one line had to be ran along the to the throttle body. There is a tuner in the glove box if I want to mess with it, but I'll let it tune itself. I hope to fire it up next week when the exhaust gets here.

I went with msd on my Charger, because it only has one pigtail on the back. I want the car to look stock. I have an aftermarket fuel tank built for fuel injection that looks stock. The pump is in the tank like it should be. The regulator is back by the tank so only one line had to be ran along the to the throttle body. There is a tuner in the glove box if I want to mess with it, but I'll let it tune itself. I hope to fire it up next week when the exhaust gets here.

the fast 2.0 "does" have timing control. and is good for more h.p. than most of the others. how well does it work over the long haul? I ain`t got that far yet.

There are a lot of home brewed systems out there and also some box systems. Right now I am following this build for megasquirt:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html

But also have researched some others systems such as Fitech, Holley and Edlebrock.

For my car, I am using and doing the Megasuirt Pro with a lot of insights from the Charger forum build

the fast 2.0 "does" have timing control. and is good for more h.p. than most of the others. how well does it work over the long haul? I ain`t got that far yet.

They say 625 hp, iirc. I don't know how any of them work long term, which is why I went with the MSD Atomic. I trust MSD's brand and I'm hoping they designed it right.

I've been looking at this manifold and considering a Mega Squirt SFI. I built my own throttle body years ago for a mechanical injection that would work fine with this...

11-500x500.jpg

-
Back