440,headers with a 1969 barracuda

-

chadf

Reaction score
Quick question for you barracuda guys. I am going to look at yet another 69 barracuda..car comes with a running 1967 440. A really mild build. Anyways i would like to put a 4 gear in this car if i get it..the fellla that has the car now said nobody makes headers that drop between the rails for a big block 4 speed car. Said i would have to run fenderwell headers..

Why not try Schumacher headers?
They offer them modified for a 4 speed or you can do it yourself, there is a how-to on here with some good pics from a few years ago.

Why not try Schumacher headers?
They offer them modified for a 4 speed or you can do it yourself, there is a how-to on here with some good pics from a few years ago.
Yep, that's what I have for barracuda. Now mine is a 383 & I still had to mod the headers to fit a 4spd. I posted my mods on hear some time ago with pictures.

Cawley i will have to dig for you posts.l and check it out.. the offer on this deal just sorta fell into my lap and came about pretty quick so I really havent had time to explore the header option. I figured you guys would know best..but i can also buy the car with a 340. But i like the 440 idea just a bit better lol

Cawley i will have to dig for you posts.l and check it out.. the offer on this deal just sorta fell into my lap and came about pretty quick so I really havent had time to explore the header option. I figured you guys would know best..but i can also buy the car with a 340. But i like the 440 idea just a bit better lol
If its a good deal heck why not. Yea I wouldn't chop up the inner fenders just for headers.

I'm using TTI headers in my Formula S 383 4-speed. Some mod done to the clutch linkage, thats all. No probs. But I don't know, maybe I was just lucky.

Get rid of the factory clutch linkage and go hydraulic. Very easy to do and no linkage to mess with.

Couldn't seal the deal with the 340. So i got the 440...time to start searching for parts now I guess and get down to the research

Get rid of the factory clutch linkage and go hydraulic. Very easy to do and no linkage to mess with.

Couldn't agree with this more. When I had my 340 4speed that damn linkage and Zbar always gave me *** aches.

I agree, go hydraulic//mild build right ??

My sig - 69 Dart GTS, Edelbrock crossram and aluminum heads on a 440 4 speed, Anson steel bell housing, 11" clutch, V-gate shifter, it's a ***** to install the Z-bar. The headers are TTI, fit excellent - spendy though if I recall. I used a Robb MCC starter (clockable). I use a remote oil filter. No power steering. Moroso center sump pan with a regular pick up. MSD 6AL ignition. Edelbrock fuel pump and filter. I used Schumacher adapter mounts with a steel biscuit on a 340 K member. I don't have the specs handy, but its a Lunati roller cam, with Comp lifters and PRW rockers and Smith push rods. The carbs are a pair of 500 CFM Carters. Mini tubbed , 8.75 with 3:23 S.G. The basic engine is from 69 Charger, pretty much stock components. Aluminum H2O pump, 160 degree T-stat, 15 lb rad cap and a 3 row copper rad with a factory 7 blade fan.
I have since seen a couple of nice adaptations on here using factory mini starters. The BBD A body 4 speed installation is one of those understated applications that until you go through the pain, you really don't appreciate what you are looking at.

Last edited:
My sig - 69 Dart GTS, Edelbrock crossram and aluminum heads on a 440 4 speed, Anson steel bell housing, 11" clutch, V-gate shifter, it's a ***** to install the Z-bar. The headers are TTI, fit excellent - spendy though if I recall. I used a Robb MCC starter (clockable). I use a remote oil filter. No power steering. Moroso center sump pan with a regular pick up. MSD 6AL ignition. Edelbrock fuel pump and filter. I used Schumacher adapter mounts with a steel biscuit on a 340 K member. I don't have the specs handy, but its a Lunati roller cam, with Comp lifters and PRW rockers and Smith push rods. The carbs are a pair of 500 CFM Carters. Mini tubbed , 8.75 with 3:23 S.G. The basic engine is from 69 Charger, pretty much stock components. Aluminum H2O pump, 160 degree T-stat, 15 lb rad cap and a 3 row copper rad with a factory 7 blade fan.
I have since seen a couple of nice adaptations on here using factory mini starters. The BBD A body 4 speed installation is one of those understated applications that until you go through the pain, you really don't appreciate what you are looking at.
I am sure I will have lotsa question..i thought about using a front motor plate to put the 440 in with...i am pretty confident either way that it ISN'T gonna be easily accomplished

-
Back