440 hot start problem

-

71Demon

Reaction score
Having trouble with stroked 440 not wanting to start when hot. Backed down the timing and it didn't seem to matter at all. Just turns over really slow when hot like it's a weak battery. Anyone had this???

If it turns over slow there's only so many reasons:

Bad starter

Weak battery

Bad cables

Something wrong internally in the engine---tight bearings/ pistons/ rings etc

FIRST thing is to have the battery "load tested." NOW I DO NOT MEAN by some chain store jocky (or jockette) using something you can hold in ONE HAND.

I mean find somebody that has what is called a "carbon pile" load tester.

If the battery shows OK, take some voltmeter readings when starting, inspect the cables and don't forget they can be corroded internally. A dead giveaway here is that the bad cable will get HOT

Last, suspect the starter. You can NOT test a starter with most of these chain store contraptions, only "real" rebuilders usually have means to to "stall tests" and so on.

Probably AFTER you eliminate or replace the battery or cables, just replace the starter.

If it's a tight engine....well.......that's another story

THIS is one example of a "carbon pile" tester:

carbon-pile-tester.jpg

It's got only about 300 miles on it. Could it just be built too tight? I'll get the battery checked out. Thanks.

crank car over with voltmeter accross terminals, any voltage drop 9v and under electronics not work<msd?> and car not fire....however if battery new or proved good by other means and starter turning slow check cables/connections,i had new hi torq mini starter on my 440,never thought that could be at fault as was new and changed battery.....twice! HOWEVER as car had been standing for ages the starter must have got shitty and used to pull daft currents / turn slow making me think power problem.

You did not mention where the battery is located??? The above suggestions are "right on" Voltage drops and current draw tests! Did you but a battery re-locating kit made from China???? the wire gauge size may be the same, but the current carrying ability is "junk" Good old welding cable is what will help you out, solder on some good ends or use the "swedge" tool. What ever, make sure the cable is clean, and shrink wrap when finished! If you do a voltage drop test, .5volt drop is tops! Make sure the engine is cranking over when doing the voltage drop test. [hook positive DMM to positive battery and Neg. DMM to starter battery stud, and crank it over] Again, .5 volt drop is max! Next do the same test for the ground circuit. [simply hook the DMM + to the starter case/bolt and - DMM to battery neg. Crank engine and note the reading! This can be done w/a cold engine, the reading should be the same/hot or cold.

-
Back