440 in 72 Dart Swinger?

-

BabyBee1

Reaction score
This is my first A body its a 72 Dart Swinger has the small block 340 with 727 transmission and 8 3/4 rear, what I would like to know is can you put a big block 440 into it without having to make large modifications?

Just buy conversion mounts to get the engine in. A Body big block headers that fit well can get expensive. Manual steering will make your life easier as far as fitment too.

I contemplated a big block swap as well. I figured I already have small block setup why not make run like a 440. Stroker crank, TrickFlow heads, hi lift roller cam. Not too hard to get 440 numbers. Simpson Speed shop made 560 torque & 580 hp with his 414. There's a guy with with ported Trick Flows and E85 making 630! He's a member here.

If I had the money back then I would have gone 4.18-4.25 crank and made mine a 426-440. Hughes Engines has a 4.18 crank kit to build a 426-435. It's about $3400 though.

good headers are going to be one of the biggest line items here and making your decisions early is a must. underchassis, fenderwell, power steering, power brakes, ac are all considerations that should be adressed before you start.

if you're not in a rush and looking to go bucks down, you can occasionally find people that are pivoting away or going in another direction from a BB swap and are unloading all the bits.

That's all cool but a hot 340 or a nicely built 408 is more horsepower than you can handle on the street. There's no good reason to overbuild and wrap yourself around a tree because you can't use the power. If you are racing that's a different story.

Last edited:
The only reason to go big block is if you are really going big. And that much HP is really way to much for a daily driver.

100_0115 (2).JPG

This is my first A body its a 72 Dart Swinger has the small block 340 with 727 transmission and 8 3/4 rear, what I would like to know is can you put a big block 440 into it without having to make large modifications?

easy swap using conversion mounts. headers are expensive though. but good small block headers are expensive too. you'll need a big block trans too. can always sell that 340 for some good money to fund the 440 build. there is nothing like a big block abody. they are so much fun and with use of some alum and large torsion bars it will handle on the street nicely..

When I was younger and parts were more available I looked for a suitable A body for a big block swap. Was either too late or too broke when a decent one came along.
Now I am old and found a 72 Duster with a 440 already swapped in so I bought it.

If you do the work yourself and that is what you want go for it. If I had a 340 dart I would be hard pressed to swap it at this point in my life.

I would build the 340, I'm building a 471 for my dart but it was a slant 6 **** box (no offense rusty lol).
If I had a 340 dart I'd definitely build another small block & put the 340 on a stand

You can fairly easily swap a 440 in to a 72 Dart. Most everything becomes harder/tighter to work on since the BB is larger than the SB. What is the purpose of the car and why do you want to switch? It maybe cheaper to actually build the 340 or even find a 360 than to switch to a 440. By making the switch you will need a minimum motor mounts, new radiator or a BB passenger side exit water pump, trans, headers/manifolds, etc.

street some strip its a weekend worrier, from what I have seen stroking the small block is the way to go, the engine compartment is tight with the small block,

I don't think you would be unhappy with a SB stroker. This coming from someone who SWORE by big blocks but built a somewhat mild 408 for the avatar car. Plenty of room to work on, low 11 secs in the 1/4, and very streetable. Don't get me wrong....BB's are great. I love 'em!! But in these A bodies, a stroker made from a cheap 360 motor is hard to beat!!

Just want to say that a aluminum headed 408 is much lighter than the 440, and that makes the car drive better, and faster when you are talking the same power output.

Hell I wanted to put in a vintage Hemi, but packaged mine with a high output 408 for the win.

Just want to say that a aluminum headed 408 is much lighter than the 440, and that makes the car drive better, and faster when you are talking the same power output.

Hell I wanted to put in a vintage Hemi, but packaged mine with a high output 408 for the win.
Like for like, stroked LA vs stroked B with all aluminum everything is less than 75 lbs difference. The big block has more head flow and more cubes, bigger power potential.

-
Back