440 in duster with floor console shifter

-

dusted1971

Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 1971 duster that has a 318/904 and I’m going to be attempting to swap in a 440/727 that I snagged out of a 68 Newport. What I’m wanting is to try and make it look as stock as possible because I’m not a big fan of aftermarket floor shifters. Is it possible to keep my stock console and shifter when doing the swap? If so, can I keep all the same linkage that is currently there or is there a set up I will have to get? I will be changing the kickdown to a cable shift as well. Thanks in advance!

7D3A237B-704A-413B-AF4F-EB3334D48007.jpeg

Or , you can search here and mod a Hurst to fit.... I did, after my stock floor shifter hopped into Reverse , Twice! Bout really jacked some things up! Had a 74 D200 did the same, bout killed me and the neighbor.

Make sure you do a blower motor mod also. There are a few in the artical sections. ask me how I know!:BangHead:

No it hit the motor, had no idea till I started putting it in my 74 Dart. Another thing to watch is the power brake booster if you have PB. If I was going to do it again Worked LA. It does get a lot of attention though.

No it hit the motor, had no idea till I started putting it in my 74 Dart. Another thing to watch is the power brake booster if you have PB. If I was going to do it again Worked LA. It does get a lot of attention though.
Brother, the Valve cover on my 74 with a 340 is touching the PB, almost have everything to go manual. I really don't like power anything, on my Good Old Good!

Go with a aftermarked 8" booster clears by 1/4". And a tourk strap on the drivers side or sold mounts.

Go with a aftermarked 8" booster clears by 1/4". And a tourk strap on the drivers side or sold mounts.
Runnin poly on engine and transmission . And rear.... I dig it. Tight ride! I had a torque strap on my ol Coronet, built 383 Mag, w/ a 4spd. Broke that mother! Lol

I have one of the Shumacher ones. Hard to find now but easy to make one if needed.

Popmobile 5.jpg

Thanks guys! It will still be a bit until the motor is in but you guys are making me happy that I have no PS or PB LOL. I really appreciate the help! And those custom skirts look great! Now to start deciding which cam to slap in the 440…….man why is it so hard to choose??? Lol

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 1971 duster that has a 318/904 and I’m going to be attempting to swap in a 440/727 that I snagged out of a 68 Newport. What I’m wanting is to try and make it look as stock as possible because I’m not a big fan of aftermarket floor shifters. Is it possible to keep my stock console and shifter when doing the swap? If so, can I keep all the same linkage that is currently there or is there a set up I will have to get? I will be changing the kickdown to a cable shift as well. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1716067911
Hi Mike, Jim from Round Lake. it is a straight forward swap if everything is manual for brakes and steering, all you need is the Shumacher or similar mounts. You may have an issue with those exhaust manifolds, but you probably have some HP big block manifolds laying around that will work better. The blower motor won't get in the way, 67-72 fits just fine, there are issues with 73-up blowers. Floor shift linkage will work and using the cable kick down solves the other problem.

No one has answered the question. The key to a factory stock console shifter is the lower mount for the pivot shaft, which MUST HAVE THE BOSSES on the bottom of the transmission. These are not present on all 727's

Bracket with the arrow at lower right

mopar-trans-shifter-jpg.jpg

Two holes at bottom of casting:
727TAIL.jpg

No one has answered the question. The key to a factory stock console shifter is the lower mount for the pivot shaft, which MUST HAVE THE BOSSES on the bottom of the transmission. These are not present on all 727's

Bracket with the arrow at lower right

View attachment 1716068060
Two holes at bottom of casting:
View attachment 1716068059
I had to fab one for the Sat. And the Duster, bent a piece of bar stock, drilled for a bushing, and mounted to the big round hole. Once you drop the shaft down, it's really easy to visualize what you got to do to make it happen, my transmission is a low gear set 727 out of a van, no floor shifter provisions

Thank you to everyone chiming in! I wouldn’t have thought about a lot of the points being brought up so it is very appreciated by a younger gun like me! Switching the topic just a bit, what would you recommend in terms of a fun yet streetable camshaft? To add a wrench in it, I’d like to use a company that was reputable back in the day. My goal is to keep the engine fairly stock in appearance and add in some “day two” goodies, things used back in ‘71 to keep it period correct. I’m currently looking at Isky, but am open to other ideas like racer brown, crower, ect. Not to say comp is bad, but lately it seems they have been missing the mark in terms of quality. If you guys have any other ideas or thoughts, I’m all ears and eager to learn!

-
Back