440 in my 1986 Ramcharger

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
I hope this is alright to ask this here? I've had a short block done by J.D. Engine & Machine a couple of years ago now.....but I'm just now trying to put some miles on it.

Here is break down for most of it:

SUM-K6400 Summit Cam and Lifter Kits
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Advertised Duration 272/ 282
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214 int. /224 exh.
Lift .442/ .465 with 1.5 rockers
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-4,500
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt
Recommended Camshaft Style Flat tappet hydraulic
Installed Height (in) 1.800 in.
Seat Pressure at Installed Height (lbs) 121 lbs.
Open Height (in) 1.300 in.
Open Pressure (lbs) 298 lbs.

This info below is for the KB184 piston

ENTER YOUR DATA CALCULATED DATA
Cylinder Head Volume (cc) 78
Piston Head Volume (cc) -2
Gasket Thickness (in.) .044
Gasket Bore (in.) 4.5
Cylinder Bore Diameter (in.) 4.35
Deck Clearance (in.) .08
Stroke (in.) 3.75
STATIC COMPRESSION RATIO 09.40
OPTIONAL DATA Rod Length (in.) 6.758
Adjusted Stroke (in.) 3.255
Intake Closing Point (degrees) ABDC @ 0.050 lift plus 15 degrees 49
DYNAMIC EFFECTIVE COMPRESSION RATIO 08.29

915 heads with 2.14 intake and 1.84 exhaust valves. Steal crank & LY rods. Built with quench. 20 minute breaking time.

The motor is really noisy when you first fire it up. Good oil pressure 70 cold and 40 hot. I really don't know what to think. What do you guys think?

double check the length of your pushrods, I had what sounds like the same problem a few years ago with a 440 I built for my 78 Ramcharger. Turned out the Edelbrock lifters that came with my cam set were for a different year engine and as such, the pushrods were .60 too short. Started right up, good oil pressure but noisy as hell. There were 2 different length pushrods for the 440's you might need to change to the longer ones. I can't remember all the specs anymore, my situation was back in 1997 but after research that's what I found out, got the longer pushrods and problem was solved!

As far as putting that 440 in your Ramcharger, I say go for it. Tons 'o Torque! Should be a blast. I've wanted to find an old Ramcharger or Trailduster and drop in a big block for a long time. Good luck with the build!

Man that's a light car! You are gonna have a TON O FUN!. Also,I noticed you have KB pistons. Could it be that clearances are a bit on the loose side with those? I know the clearances for KB pistons are supposed to be a bit tighter as they dont expand/contract as much .Due to hyperuetectic design/high silicone content.

First try the pushrods before digging that deep.

It would be a good idea to check the size of the push rods needed before you go buy another set. You did not say if the rockers were stock or adjustable. But you maybe starting to a have a cam going bad, lets hope thats not the problem. Make sure you getting enough oil to the rockers, even if you have good oil pressure, you could have a plugged oil passage.

A few things to check:

67 & older big blocks had different lifters, and used different style push rods with a smaller tip on the bottom end.

Check the rocker arms, make sure they are installed properly, left and right are used to denote the position for each cylinder, not the side of the engine that they go on. If you put all the lefts on one side and all the rights on the other side of the motor, it will run, but be noisy, ask me how I know.

Are you getting oil to the rockers? If not check to see if the rocker shafts are installed correctly. If still no oil to the rockers, maybe a rotated cam bearing?

Also...with the 1.80 installed spring height, you need special retainers on a small block, as they are originally 1.65 installed height. Not sure what the big block original installed height is, but check to make sure the retainer is not hitting the underside of the rocker arm. I saw this recently on a small block motor.

Well, I haven't got a chance to take the top end apart.................I really hope that it's something wrong on top side. It sure sounds deeper though. Which, it's going to tick me off seeings that I had the bottom end done by somebody with supposedly with a lot of acknowledge on building motors. I'll post what ever I find, whether it's something I done or..........All I done to this is put the top side together and do a 20 minute break in. Which I don't claim be a professional I could of done it all wrong........will see.

I'll post pictures once I start taking it apart.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Which the spring height is incorrect there. I wished I would of wrote this stuff down. Those aftermarket valves he put in the heads were taller than the springs recommended for that summit cam which made the open and closing pressure wrong. Once I got them home I measured them and ended up having to go with comp springs to the get the height right and open and closing pressures right.

Also it's a 77 block with a 70 steel crank with LY rods.

-
Back