440 intake reversed?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
Way back I built an eng for a guy & later he took the car in to have a shop finish it for him & the shop told him that the intake was turned around reversed. Is this possible? thank you for your time. RR

It’s possible but that would put the vacuum connection in the front and the coil mount in the back. It would also put the choke well on the driver’s side.

It’s possible but that would put the vacuum connection in the front and the coil mount in the back. It would also put the choke well on the driver’s side.

I've seen that before too..... Makes no difference otherwise from what I remember, like the ports line up just the same. So, depending on your application, maybe meaningless.

Upside down, now that's another story lol.

The only problem would be carb angle and with some intakes throttle bore size. I saw this once on a Cad motor in a boat. They put the manifold with the front toward the front of the boat. Problem was it was a V-drive...On that motor there was a vacuum leak, but most V8's it really shouldn't matter as far as sealing goes...

I once installed the intake on a /6 backwards and ran it for a year before I realized it.

I am going to go over & take a look at the angle & actually see how bad my transgression was! It did not have a carb on it when it left my possession. RR

I my be mistaken but didn’t they use to offer a wedge plate for the top of the intake.

-
Back