440 Mechanical Fuel Pump Delete ???

-

cletus

Cooter's Apprentice
Reaction score
Dear Hive Mind -

I'm about to install an electric fuel pump and would like to remove the mechanical pump and add a block off plate. The engine is a '78 model year 440 if that makes a difference. It has been quite a while since I reassembled the engine, I don't recall how the fuel pump is driven by the cam. From memory it seems like there was a push rod or some such?? Does it need to be removed?? How do I go about doing this??

Pictures would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks in advance.
- Steve

The pushrod is a about a 3.25" dowel that slides in behind the pump, remove pump, pull out dowel. Use any block off plate.
2001027.jpg

Remove pump, then remove pipe plug, then remove pushrod.

remove pump, then remove pipe plug, then remove pushrod.

THIS. Frankly, I'm not sure it's that important to remove the rod, although it might sit there and vibrate and abrade against the plug

"Chevy" LOL block of plate

Ah yes, the pipe plug access. I've been out of the B/RB game for a few years.

Good luck getting the pipe plug out, after that many years its most likely seized up pretty good. It wouldnt hurt anything to just leave the pushrod in there, that way you'll know where it is if you should ever decide to go back with a mechanical pump. Yes put the plug back in or there will be a nice little oil leak there.

Good luck getting the pipe plug out, after that many years its most likely seized up pretty good. It wouldnt hurt anything to just leave the pushrod in there, that way you'll know where it is if you should ever decide to go back with a mechanical pump. Yes put the plug back in or there will be a nice little oil leak there.

I had the engine down to the bare block just a few years ago for a rebuild, I'm betting it won't be too bad. The plan is to go electric and never look back. Eventually when the funds are there I will probably be looking at a throttle body EFI. I'm liking what I'm reading about the Fitech system.

Thanks for the info!!!

AaaaaHA!

I just found a picture showing the pipe plug, now it makes sense. I had forgotten that it was on the outside of the block under the pump. I haven't looked at that side of the engine in a while.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, that's one of the many reasons I love this forum.

-
Back