440 motor in 68 Barracuda

-

SuperStock

Reaction score
...Can I use factory 383 exhaust manifold (2863900, 2899002) ?

Any issue with the manual steering? The car is 68 Formula S, manual everything!

Thanks in advance!

Come on, someone here must know this!

If I put a 440 in 68 Barracuda, can I use 383 factory manifold? (or I have to use header)? any problem issue with manual steering, will it rub the steering box ?

I don,t have any experience with the 440 in a 68 Cuda(mines a 318,power everything,A/C)but I would think the 383 manifold should clear with manual steering.Is the block in the car?

Go into the big block a section of the forums and you will see a post for a 440 cuda just like you want to do. It will work, just real close. Look for CUUDAK he had a cuda with that combination. I plan to do the same thing. I think with some K member shims, moving motor mounts around a little bit and aligning the motor to the passenger side should make it all work. Good luck, Stan

I dont have engine in car yet. There's 440 engine for sale local, good deal ,so I want make sure it work before I buy it

thanks for y'all respond, I appreciated it

The 440 cars used the same passenger side manifold as the 383 cars it just had a spacer added to it .

My '67 is a factory 383 formula S and when I got it it had a 440 in it with fender well headers. So my K member (big block) worked fine, but I hated those headers. Take your manifolds with you when you go to look at the 440, see if they line/bolt up and take a tape measure. you may have to get different motor mounts too for the K member if it's not a big block one. Good luck!

I think you should be carefull. The drivers side manifolds changed part numbers when a 440 was put in due to the taller height of the 440 vs 383. You might have a problem with the drivers side manifold because it barely fits under the steering column on a 67 with a 383 in it. I don't know off hand but those part #s sound like the same ones used on my 67 383 cars. I could be wrong maybe someone will chime in.

Carl

I heard that you use a B body passenger side and a E body drivers side manifold.
Do your home work.
Ridge

They fit fine just have to get the correct mounts for your k-member as HemiMark said not sure of manifolds but there are several headers out there. You will have loads of fun with that project. Good luck to you.

Before you decide on headers decide on what trans you will run as some headers work better than others with 4/speed vs auto.

They fit fine just have to get the correct mounts for your k-member as HemiMark said not sure of manifolds but there are several headers out there. You will have loads of fun with that project. Good luck to you.

Before you decide on headers decide on what trans you will run as some headers work better than others with 4/speed vs auto.

good advice.......

If it were me, I would probably use the Schumacher Tri-Y's as
HemiMark suggested. I believe that these are extremely easy to
install, reportedly even with the engine in place.

Tri-ys.jpg

Schumacher is also in the process of releasing their new under-
chassis version of the Tri-Y's.

Tri-YsUC.jpg

The factory LH side manifold was flattened to the point that it
strangled the engine, costing significant horsepower.

2001_0303_123607aa.jpg.w300h225.jpg

If you insist on the factory look, a company called Accurate
LTD makes a modified version of the stock manifold that flows
very well while retaining the stock look up top.

2001_0330_093221aa.jpg.w300h225.jpg

They also have a 3" Max-Wedge style exhaust system that
mates up to their manifolds, complete with cut-outs. Lots of
nice color pictures on their web page.

Link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8el3i/id13.html

Accurate LTD comparison photo:

2001_0330_093611aa.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Old Man Mopar;1268281]If it were me, I would probably use the Schumacher Tri-Y's as
HemiMark suggested. I believe that these are extremely easy to
install, reportedly even with the engine in place.

Thanks John, Your the best!

Don't forget that you may need to modify the steering column...removing 2-4" of the outer tube at the bottom will greatly improve the clearance....the more you remove the better clearance you will have.

Mop

My understanding is Accurate LTD closed up shop.

Schumachers do not work with a 4 speed, but I believe they will send them out to be messaged for you.

The latest I heard was using E-body headers and cut the last tube on the driverside and twist it to miss the steering linkage.

Matthon,
Don't know where you got your information but be rest assured Accurate LTD did not "close shop". Been in business since 1974 and don't plan on retiring any time soon unless you know something we don't. Maybe you were confusing us not offering the BB manifold anymore to being in business. As far as the left manifold is concerned, a left
"B" body HP casting "992" ( last 3 digits) will work well with a few modifications. Steering
column needs to be shortened and a "B" body Z bar installed if 4-speed equipped. Another great option as mentioned by another comment is to install Schumacher tri-y headers. If 4 speed equipped Schumacher has us, Accurate LTD, modify them.

I must have been confused, no offense intended.

While I have your attention; does Schumacher send you headers, then you modify them and send them back to Schumacher, then they would coat them and send them to me?

What is the issue with Schumachers that they do not work with 4 speeds?

Any info is appreciated.

From your website, it looks like your exhaust will bolt right up to the stock manifolds, which is cool. At this point I'm not sure if I want to keep the manifolds or go to headers.

Most of the time Schumacher refers the customer to us and we modify the left header and test fit it on an actual vehicle. If the customer wants an exhaust sytem , we custom build it from the headers we modify and ship the complete system as a package to the customer. This assures an excellent fit. We recommend the customer trial fits the headers and then get them coated using his choice of coaters. The issue is that the headers hit the starter on 4 speed bell housings and the exit flange directly conflicts with the z-bar. Current pricing can be checked by calling (541) 672-2661. A-body forum members do get a discount so this should be mentioned when making the inquirey.

-
Back