440 Motor Mount Measurements

-

xlexl

Reaction score
The 440 was mounted in by PO and mounted in too high. I know this because I cant fit the heater in there, and they had to cut a hole in the hood to get it to close over the air cleaner. Initial plan was to buy schumacher mounts and put them on a v8 K that i've got, but 300 bucks for poly's and a slew of other parts that need to be replaced instead has changed the plan.

I'm looking for diagram and measurements to cut and re-weld the mounts so the motor sits in the right location and wont cause any issues with schumacher tri-y's. Thanks for the help here are the pictures of what i'm dealing with. Aditional pics of the car pre, during, and current tear down can be found on my resto thread in my link.

PA120784.jpg

PA120785.jpg

I can measure my 440 tomorrow evening. But you are definitely too high. Motor mounts are probably only 1 inch thick or so though.

If you are running aftermarket rocker covers you won't be able to get the heater in there. Some intakes and air cleaners also won't clear the hood. Check the measurements out at Big Block Dart in the tech pages.

If you are running aftermarket rocker covers you won't be able to get the heater in there. Some intakes and air cleaners also won't clear the hood. Check the measurements out at Big Block Dart in the tech pages.

Good information thanks, Jim. Should be able to get the heater in, have the cheapo DC valve covers on there, even sitting 2" too high it nearly would fit. Thanks for the tip to look at BBD. I'll go check it out.

67-76 "A"-body / 66-74 "B"-body / 70-74 "E"-body applications: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-1/4”. The engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail. The difference should be 2-1/2”.

I am sitting between 5"-5 1/4". Frame rail measures at 13.75" passenger side and 16.25" driver side. A 2.5" difference.

67-76 "A"-body / 66-74 "B"-body / 70-74 "E"-body applications: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-1/4”. The engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail. The difference should be 2-1/2”.

I am sitting between 5"-5 1/4". Frame rail measures at 13.75" passenger side and 16.25" driver side. A 2.5" difference.

Thanks that helps a lot, cut out the motor mounts out today, motor is hanging off the cherry picker, ill notch for oil pump and figure out how to get it mounted in right tomorrow.

I have the Scumacher A to B/RB mounts, and had to raise the engine about 1/2" using metal spacers in between the mounts in order for my Pro-Parts to clear the steering column.

Because my stroker is an RB with an M1 single plane on it I bought an AAR Hemi scoop and cut out the hood, figuring it would never fit. As it turns out, I probably could've used a flat hood with a short air filter.

An RB with MP black crinkle covers won't clear the factory heater blower.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out for me, motor is in the engine compartment going to have to lift it back up and cut the K for the oil pump, but looks like I'll need about 1" spacers in between the K and those motor mounts.

-
Back