440 Number Decode?

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
I was doing small misc work on my Duster today....

I looked at the passenger side of the block and found these numbers:

3 . 31 . 67

Anyone inform me what these mean?

All I know is that the motor is a 440

I was doing small misc work on my Duster today....

I looked at the passenger side of the block and found these numbers:

3 . 31 . 67

Anyone inform me what these mean?

All I know is that the motor is a 440

They just mean what you would expect. 2536430 is the casting number and 3-31-67 is the casting date. Could have been used in a '67 or even a '68 model car. You'll have to look at the ID pad to see which model year it was used in and whether or not it was built as an HP block.

They just mean what you would expect. 2536430 is the casting number and 3-31-67 is the casting date. Could have been used in a '67 or even a '68 model car. You'll have to look at the ID pad to see which model year it was used in and whether or not it was built as an HP block.

Thanks for this info.......where is this ID pad located?

I was told the motor was from a 1968 car, so that makes sense I guess

Here is what I see on the pad:

D 440 (Celtic or German cross symbol?) B

7 31

From what I have read yes, undersized..........but what does this mean?

I know the motor has been rebuilt, so who knows whats inside

"IMPORTANT: A Maltese Cross stamped on - engine numbering pad Fig. 45 indicates that engine is equipped with a crankshaft which has one or more connecting rods and/or main bearing journal finished .001 inch oversize. The position of the undersize journal or journals is stamped on a machine surface of the NO. 3 counterweight Fig. 46. A MALTESE CROSS followed by an X indicates that all connecting rod and main journals are .010 inch undersize. Connecting rod journals are identified by the letter "R’’ and main bearing journals by the letter ‘M." For example "M-1" indicates that NO. 1 main bearing is .001 inch undersize."

Maltese Cross .001" undersized bearing shells
Maltese Cross and X .010" undersized crankshaft

100_2971.JPG
Maltese cross. and in this unit the location where the under sized bearings were used, stamped on counter weight #3.

100_2976.JPG

-
Back