440 rods

-

dillinger

Reaction score
hi fellas
have a question that allyways irkes me re 440 ly rods I hav seen articles where those rods hav been turned to 7000 and did not break in 440 motors .I hav a440 in my 68 cuda that has ly rods. had the car to the track went 12.10 and I think the car will go 11.60.now I shift at 5500 .was thinkin 6 or 6500 for shift point .these rods are bushed for 990 pin hav been resized ,polished,and hav arp bolts ,will they take 6,or 6500 would appreate your imput.

Heavy pistons are a stock rods worst enemy...We can all tell you Yes...

but none of us can predict metal fatigue ....

I ran those rods in a 400 stroker ,451 I did 30 years ago with ross pistons and a stock steel 440 crank,went 10.60s in the cuda I had,sold the cuda,they put it on alky and ran 10.30s,i had the beams polished,shot peened,small ends bushed,good rod bolts

The block will give out before the rods. If you can, run the lightest pistons you can. 6K is nothing for an LY with good bolts and light pistons.

Mine spins 6200 regularly and have seen 7k. I've built 2 440's using stock rods that were polished, shot peened and ARP bolted.

As said, piston weight has a dramatic effect on the load the rod sees.

My uncle had a 11.5:1 440 with the heaviest trw l2295 pistons, he shifted that motor at 6000 and lived for a pretty long time, until 1993 at englishtown for the mopar nationals broke a rod and shot it out the side of the block... Like aarcuda said, you never know when they will let go.

If the rods have been checked out with new bolts 6000 shouldn't be an issue. Whats the rest of the engine setup? Heads intake cam etc? It may not be an issue of rpm, maybe the combination is just running out of steam.

hi fellas
re the 440 with ly rods stock steel crank ly rods with all the business ross forged flattop pistons 590grams without the 990pins.edy rpm heads mopar 661 solid cam ,hughes roler 1.6 rockers,ras holdowns,smithbrothers pushrods.edy duelplane,850 demon .eng seems to make good power 22initial with 110 gas 34 total by 2300.

What do the backs of the rod bearings and mating surfaces of the main caps look like? As long as there's no sign of detonation or cap walk you should be fine. Again - Mopars are not known for having rod problems. Eventually anything will break, but it's much more likely the webbing of the block will crack first.

hey bob
re the 34 deg. timing I have the Chrysler new dist.and yu need the key kit to change total ,that's all the timing I can get now,will work on that when get a chance .how much total should I run .how fast should it all be in.

My 1969 block, crank and factory rods and HEAVY TRW pistons ran for years on the strip, shifted at 6200, I move up to Eagle rods and alum. pistons. It was just a matter of time before metal fatigue snuck in so I upgraded to lessen the chance of breakage. If I remember right those factory rods had been balanced twice, they still sitting in a box on one of my work benches, need to toss em. With the street motor Im building from same combo Im going back with the heavy TRWs to move the compression down just as long as they dont outweigh the rods LOL.

I think I ran mine at 34 with a crank trigger, 5:13 gear, powerglide, 1/8th mile track, deadly consistant bracket car.

-
Back