440 Small Bock!

-

69charger

Reaction score
I just wanted to show this to you guys incase you hadnt seen it before

70dh7d.gif

440 SUPER COMMANDO CRATE ENGINE � 540 HORSEPOWER (EST.), 550 FT.-LBS. TORQUE (EST.)

Big block power and cubic inches in a small block package! Mopar�s new 440 Super Commando small block stroker crate engine gives you over 500 horsepower on pump gas, and offers the compact size of a small block.
Specifications:
Bore: 4.180" Stroke: 4.000"
Compression Ratio: 10.2:1 (Est.)
Block: New 340 Siamese Block with 4-Bolt Mains
Cylinder Heads: Aluminum
Intake Manifold: Mopar M1 Single Plane
Camshaft: Hydraulic High-Performance � 251�/257� Duration @ .050", .603" Lift
Oil Pan: 8-Quart Center Sump Street/Strip Oil Pan
Crankshaft: Forged 4340
Pistons: Forged
Valves: 2.055"/1.600" Stainless
Connecting Rods: Forged 6.123"
Rocker Arm: Aluminum Roller w/ 1.6:1 Ratio
Note: Shown with available carburetor and air cleaner assembly.
5153523 440 Super Commando Crate Engine � 540 Horsepower
Price TBA

guess this means you could put those 440 badges on the car. :)

Hot rod magazine dyno one of those in last months issue it put out 520 h.p. 546 tq..no big deal for whats in it...

But Oooo, when you mill the heads down and port them out...he he he he
The comp. ratio can surley go up with a cam like that one and use some good gas.
Power like as it is should get you going preety good. I bet set up right, 11's should be easy enuff!

Bill Kay Parts has the P5153523 440 small blocks for sale. The list price is $17,000 and they sell them for $12,500. I will build my whole car with a stroker big block for less than $12,500

Whats the price of these?

We discussed this motor in a thread 4-5 weeks ago. Prior to that (about 2 months prior), I called a friend who is a parts manager at a dealership and he said they weren't available yet but said they would probably be selling them for $13K-$14K. Lots-O-Money!

yeah, it's just cool that theyre commin up with stuff like this though
like they say
"you gotta pay to be different"

hot rod tested it,they also mentioned that the heads are as cast ,unlike the chebby and ford entry. imagine what kind of power with a good port and polish.i checked with my dealer,i was told that they would be available in mid summer but mp would not give him a price yet.i imagine it will b around 10 large.i cant help but think what i could do with a 360 and half of what they will want for this motor.btw,indy heads already offers a 440 short block in sb form.hell its almost 7 grand un assembled.u have to use the resto siamese block that is about 3000.i think ill stick with my little stroker and see what happens.my machine shop built a 408 a few months ago that runs on pump gas and the dyno shows 597 hp. i will ask him for a copy of the slip and post it.btw thats 597 hp @ almost 7000 ft of altitude.

one of my customers may be selling a barry grant tripple d system for a small block, i will ask him.bg carbs dont seem to work well where im at as i have a pile of them.change em out for quick fuel and what a difference. dont ask me y.it may be the constant change in weather but you have to mess with the demons all the time.

hot rod tested it,they also mentioned that the heads are as cast ,unlike the chebby and ford entry. imagine what kind of power with a good port and polish.

If the heads are as cast they are leaving a lot of power off the table:

http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/commando.htm

For the kind of money I am hearing for that engine those heads should be fully ported. Does that price include a new transmission and full exhaust?

For the kind of money I am hearing for that engine those heads should be fully ported. Does that price include a new transmission and full exhaust?

for that kind of money it should be in a running car granted maybe not the nicest car but you should be able to drive it home. Justin

a friend just got a 400 cube 360 built w2's about the same size cam,mopar intake puts out slightly less hp and torque,he's having heaps of trouble getting the power down in his ozzie valiant [simular to 70 dart] you cant do much in 1st and you have to slowly feed 2nd and he looked at his taco near
redline in 2nd and he looked up and the car was going sideways- 90mph
he runs the best of tyres, might have to get some hoosiers or something-ken

I saw one in person at the Atlanta motor speedway this summer.
I had to do a double take when I saw 440 commando stickers on the pie plate and the distributor in the rear.

I asked the guy if someone swapped pie plates to freak people out, and he handed me the brochure.

I is a really cool motor,looks good, and has potential for more power as the other guys said.

I agree with y'all, it's way too much money for that set up.

I will stick with a professional build for half the price, but

I want one of those pie plates though.

"you cant do much in 1st and you have to slowly feed 2nd"

Yeah, there's nothing like having a hot V8 in a little A-body to teach you how to launch gently. You can't steer when you're popping a wheelie, and believe me, you don't want that positraction doing the steering from the rear! I tried that one time, and before I knew it I was off the road and sitting in a walnut orchard.

-
Back