440 Source Aluminum Big Block Heads

-

bahoward

Reaction score
Has anybody out there had any problems with these heads? I put a set on my car this year with good and bad results. The motor is, was a 383 with 12.5:1 compression, .590/312 purple shaft cam, edelbrock victor intake. All I did to the heads was change the springs and opened up the pushrod holes. The car ran great all season both on and off the track. Last month I was at the track and on the fifth pass I had a valve break and it toasted the motor. Anybody else have problems?

Ahhh, but why did the valve break? I just witnessed an Edelbrock valve break and destroy an engine. The valve was hitting the piston before it broke. Well, all 16 valves were hitting the pistons, one exhaust broke before the other valves. Any evidence other valves are failing? What did you have for piston to valve clearance?

The Stealth retainers and locks are not the most quality pieces. Did you replace them when you installed new springs? Is the valve stem still attached to the spring, retainers and locks so you can inspect it?

Unfortunitly this is common with the 440 suppplied valves and such. I refuse to use thier heads or ProComp.

...............Its like the old sayings........u get what u pay 4........or u pay me now or u pay me later......kim........

So better valves, keepers, springs and a quality valve job right out of the box should make for a good head? Can you buy the bare? I figure everyone has their own favorite valve maker anyway so bare is the way to go. Then you only have the machine shop to blame.

Just my experience, but it's rare for a valve to break without some form of input... Meaning a retainer/lock failure, the impacts like IQ said, bad valvetrain harmonics, poor valve jobs, etc. Most of the imported stainless performance valves are ok parts, and virtually everyone uses them. If you replaced the springs, that's good. If you didn't replace the retainers and locks, or have the valve job corrected, you may have missed a potential problem.
Good head work is hard to find, and more pricey.

a friend have them on 493 I used it
all summer long on the street

this guy is what I call the burnout KING
where I leave he s pretty hard on is car
so I woudnt think they are crappy
BUT he hade them check for valve guide
and evry thing before he install them
jthe guide was (tited) (sorry Im french)
didnt have enough clearance

I have a buddy that has 440source heads out box and ran them no problem now for about 4 years. I think maybe you might have screwed something up when you "opened up the pushrod holes." IMO.

Thanks for your input. I dom't think it was anything I did when I changed the springs. Changed the locks and retainers at the same time. Valve spring heights were ok. Besides, if something was wrong from the start I don't think it would have lasted for 50 plus passes (1/4 mile) and at least 100 miles on the street. But you never know, I've blown a lot of stuff up over the years. Thanks

-
Back