440 source stroker kits

-

Rgn102282

67 cuda or it will be
Reaction score
Hey is anybody Running one of these kits from 440 source. Im especially interested to know of anyone using it in a 383 block. They only have a couple of options for the 383 but I havent talked to anyone that runs one.

No 383 but a 600 hp 440 stroked out to 520 ci.....a little piston slap from the short skirts...and not out of the box....have the entire rotating assy...balanced again...good bang for the buck...they offer more options for the 400 and 440 though...my buddy Paul's car

383 - 496
like above piston slap from short skirts. stealth heads out of the box
Comp cams Hydraulic roller 23-713-9
11.4 @ 118
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__2lLQAvEOQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__2lLQAvEOQ[/ame]

So your saying that as far as you know with a little attention to detail and a bit of massaging. The kits work. The value seems to be there

This is my first engine build. Ill be having a proffesional assemble the engine. Can you explain piston slap and how short skirts causes it. Sry if this is common knowledge.

This is my first engine build. Ill be having a proffesional assemble the engine. Can you explain piston slap and how short skirts causes it. Sry if this is common knowledge.
With the long stroke of the piston the skirt may come out of the bottom of the cylinder some at the bottom of the stroke....short skirts on the pistons tend to flap around more than long skirted pistons..thus a little slapping noise as they are pushed pack up into the cylinder...this is the easiest way to explain it...get some good books on Big Block Mopars they are very much worth the $20.00 bucks each cost..

With the long stroke of the piston the skirt may come out of the bottom of the cylinder some at the bottom of the stroke....short skirts on the pistons tend to flap around more than long skirted pistons..thus a little slapping noise as they are pushed pack up into the cylinder...this is the easiest way to explain it...get some good books on Big Block Mopars they are very much worth the $20.00 bucks each cost..

Eric, so your saying the 440 stroker kit is a good one? sorry...i'm lost tonight

No 383 but a 600 hp 440 stroked out to 520 ci.....a little piston slap from the short skirts...and not out of the box....have the entire rotating assy...balanced again...good bang for the buck...they offer more options for the 400 and 440 though...my buddy Paul's car

Eric, so your saying the 440 stroker kit is a good one? sorry...i'm lost tonight
Yep...best bang for the buck and not out of the box.....

Some of what yall are referring to as piston slap may be from full floating wrist pins. Real piston slap usually goes away when the engine warms up. Course, with these short skirted pistons, things are bound to be different. But the full floating pins are usually responsible for more noise than the actual piston to bore clearance. Because the floating pins allow the piston to wiggle around a little to relieve stress, they usually make a slight "diesel" type knock, especially at higher cylinder pressures.

What stroker said. If the pistons rattled at the bottom of the bore, they's shave off aluminum and it'd be blown in under a minute of run time if that long. Piston slap is when the engine's cold and the pistons are too. It is mostly a thing of the past unless an engine has some passes or was set loose. Short pistons are less stable because of the lack of distance between the skirts and the ring stack. They tend to have more piston rock as TDC and the rings lose sealing ability much faster, in addition to the ring lands wearing out faster. Anything that is shorter than a 1.500 compression height will usually have a problem with longevity amd ring seal will be substantially less over time.

Some of what yall are referring to as piston slap may be from full floating wrist pins. Real piston slap usually goes away when the engine warms up. Course, with these short skirted pistons, things are bound to be different. But the full floating pins are usually responsible for more noise than the actual piston to bore clearance. Because the floating pins allow the piston to wiggle around a little to relieve stress, they usually make a slight "diesel" type knock, especially at higher cylinder pressures.

What stroker said. If the pistons rattled at the bottom of the bore, they's shave off aluminum and it'd be blown in under a minute of run time if that long. Piston slap is when the engine's cold and the pistons are too. It is mostly a thing of the past unless an engine has some passes or was set loose. Short pistons are less stable because of the lack of distance between the skirts and the ring stack. They tend to have more piston rock as TDC and the rings lose sealing ability much faster, in addition to the ring lands wearing out faster. Anything that is shorter than a 1.500 compression height will usually have a problem with longevity amd ring seal will be substantially less over time.
I agree with both of you...my friend has their 520 440 stroker kit....this kit does have shorter piston skirts and his noise does get less noticable after the engine warms up...

Hey thanks for all the info. I guess then in your opinions for a street driven car that happens to be garaged 10 miles from maple grove dragstrip in Pa so might end up there a few times a summer. Is this the kit for me. Keep in mind I want to keep my 383 as it came in the car. So for looks a 440 isn't an option.

I wouldnt go larger than a 3.915 stroke crank in it. That's just my opinion tho. If this is an original #s matching engine, find another one to use and stick that one in the corner.

ZanderZone- love that ute! If I had the means, I'd bring one to the US and convert it to LHD and drive it around. It would confuse the locals and any Ozzie or Kiwi that happens to see it, besides I've driven a LHD it England and it sucked for visibility.

ZanderZone- love that ute! If I had the means, I'd bring one to the US and convert it to LHD and drive it around. It would confuse the locals and any Ozzie or Kiwi that happens to see it, besides I've driven a LHD it England and it sucked for visibility.
Definitely nice ride Zander.

I'm considering a 440Source kit as well, but not until after I get home from Iraq. I'll be doing some major brain picking between here and BBD!

You are running the 496 ci kit in a 383 block with no issue? What kind of power are you getting? Are you happy with it over all. Does it make the slapping sound as descibed above. Did you have to have it rebalanced? This is the kit I'm most interested in.

-
Back