440 Stealth Heads with Comp Cam Springs?

-
You're gettin there!

and let those who want a bigblock a body...be forewarned...it's more work!

Finally finished with replacing all of the springs...
Got the passenger side header off today...bottle jack on oil pan bolt did the trick...changed out number 4 and 6 springs and bolted everything back together....
finger020.gif

Used blow down hose to do these.....

IMG00205-20100424-1111.jpg

Only necessary things hooked back up to start up tomorrow....

IMG00206-20100424-1645.jpg

icon8.gif
Same freaking noise today
:angry5:

No luck today...OMG.....same terrible noise...motor is coming back out....
I had no luck today.....same bad noise..... where the f it is coming from....I am also thinking problem with the Stealth heads....going to get the engine out by weeks end and pull the heads....was very disappointed today and am not going to work on it today...am getting the pool all cleaned up and ready to go...will keep posting my findings :homework:

Sounds like a lifter oiling issue.

Leave the long block assembled and pull the intake/valley pan and take a good look at your lifters....they are probably compressed too far and will not pump up on their own.

Bummer....

Leave the long block assembled and pull the intake/valley pan and take a good look at your lifters....they are probably compressed too far and will not pump up on their own.

Bummer....

I agree , also take a look at pushrods closely , are they rubbing on the heads ?

And lastly are you sure the noise you atre hearing is not normal , Roller valvetrain , even hyd, is not as quite as the flat tappet with non adjustable rockers .

Dumb question , you did measure your valve heights so you know the springs are installed at the proper height to get the correct spring pressure , plus you measured the springs at the spec height to make sure they were right ?

Bummer....
I will take a look at them again as I decided to pull the passenger side head off and take it to the machine shop that I use and have them check it out....lifters are the second higher dollar set from Comp Cams...dought that both of them could be bad....I already have the rocker arms removed on the passenger so I can check the drivers side...take care 8)

I agree , also take a look at pushrods closely , are they rubbing on the heads ?

And lastly are you sure the noise you atre hearing is not normal , Roller valvetrain , even hyd, is not as quite as the flat tappet with non adjustable rockers .

Dumb question , you did measure your valve heights so you know the springs are installed at the proper height to get the correct spring pressure , plus you measured the springs at the spec height to make sure they were right ?
I had to clearance four pushrods on each side..I have checked them 3 times....two very light scuff marks on two of them

Had a 340 roller motor in my car last year and heard no valvetrain noise with it.....

Yes to last question....have the tools to do that....I have every tool for building engines except a bore dial gauge......Thanks

Take the gasket and lay it on the head's deck surface and see if the fire ring is sealing. I have not used them, but I believe you need to run Source's choice of gasket or the fire ring wont seal. Without that, you may have seapage issues. As far as the slot vs hole... I believe that is to slow the water downa little so it picks up more heat before it goes to the radiator. Nothing to worry about.

Another 1,600 plus cash spent today....inconclusive meeting with machine shop
I took the head to the machine shop...just so happens they were porting a set of stealth heads while I was there...he thought that the head gasket wasn't compressed very much but I disagreed..he also thought there were no visable leaks on the head but agreed to go ahead and pressure check it for pin holes...no rust lines seen on the inside of the heads....water resides all of the time were the rust lines showed up on the gasket, the deck and the head...I never had any water coming out of the outside of the heads either........

Today I went ahead and ordered the eddys...84cc...new valley and gaskets....the Z1009 head gaskets and some 45 degree spark plug boots.....because the new spark plug holes are at angles......

finger020.gif

DOOOOH , at least you are man enough to admit what you found. too bad you ordered new heads , anyway to cancel the order ?
Nope, Still rather have the Eddys instead of the Stealths...there spark plug clearance will be better because they are at an angle instead of being straight....am also still awaiting the pressure test results on the Stealth head....water in all four cylinders...if they turn out to be good someone already wants to buy them thus it will help offset the cost of the Eddys....take care....8)

Are you planning to have the RPMs checked out prior to installation?
I still think it is a simple case of wrong gasket used. Not your fault, but a much cheaper fix...lol.

Are you planning to have the RPMs checked out prior to installation?
I still think it is a simple case of wrong gasket used. Not your fault, but a much cheaper fix...lol.
I trust the Eddys..never heard of any problems with them....I did order the better so called Z1009's but still have to hear about the pressure test before I would say a problem with the gaskets....8)

Got my Eddys today.....already changed the springs and bolted on the rocker arms....
Very happy with the Eddys and the other stuff I got today...Got the Comp Cam springs on one and bolted on the rocker arms...did not have to shim them the rollers are centered on the valves perfectly....push rod clearance maybe..will find out when I bolt it on the motor...very impressed with the quality...would run Indys or some other if this wasn't a street driven car...just want to smoke the tires to the rims.......

bbd.gif
the motor will be back out in the morning......I will pull everything apart and check everything......here goes a pic...notice how the spark plugs are pointing up and at an angle..this will help with spark plug clearance...

IMG00230-20100430-2232.jpg

I have a comp cams 23-713-9 cam in my 383-496 stroker with stealth heads.
I am using the Comp dual springs, locks and retainers.
I had to clearance the heads a fair bit for the pushrods to clear.

Cheers Dave

I have been watching this tread for awhile now and havent seen an update on what was up with the 440 source heads???? What did you find out about the 440 source heads. I know there are alot of guys out there intrested in the outcome of this?

I have been watching this tread for awhile now and havent seen an update on what was up with the 440 source heads???? What did you find out about the 440 source heads. I know there are alot of guys out there intrested in the outcome of this?
Just so happens that I went today and picked up the one I sent to the machine shop....they pressure tested it and said it was fine :read2:
It's still hard for me to believe that a not torqued right head gasket would let water into all 8 cylinders on both sides and not drip outside of the heads....wish me better luck.....last night I used the Fel Pro Z1009 head gaskets...moly lube on the threads and heads of the bolts and the bottom of the washers..I torqued them using two different torque wrenches and at 40, 50, and 70 ft/lb increments..just like Edelbrock recommended...Stealths are already sold to someone else...

-
Back