440 water pump dumps out on pass. side

-

Bad Shrimp

Reaction score
I'm new to mopars, started puting in a new aluminum water pump housing today.....the original 440 water pump dumps out on pass. side. The new aluminum one dumps out on drivers side.

Is my old water pump an odd ball?

Take it easy,

Bad Shrimp

(edit) If anyone needs the pass. side waterpump housing for their project (cast iron) holler at me, I dont need it.

No, just for a different body style. Believe that some C-bodies had this. Need to make sure that the radiator will match up...

I'm new to mopars, started puting in a new aluminum water pump housing today.....the original 440 water pump dumps out on pass. side. The new aluminum one dumps out on drivers side.

Is my old water pump an odd ball?

Take it easy,

Bad Shrimp

(edit) If anyone needs the pass. side waterpump housing for their project (cast iron) holler at me, I dont need it.

Yea you got the 1 in 10 I believe that the motor homes came off the passenger side, most 383/400/440's come off the drivers side and it's not the dump it's the pump inlet.

The housing you have is used on big block cars with air conditioning

Didn't big blocks start doing that in '73?

It's the later style water pump usually on 73 and up cast crank motors

My 73 motor home 440 had pass side inlet water pump , forged crank , 6 pack rods windage tray
my 77 truck 440 had pass side inlet water pump also , but with a cast crank .

Donnie

The difference is in the years, not the application. Also, that is the water pump INLET, not the outlet.

Now that the thread has mentioned cast vs. forged cranks.......is there an obvious way to tell which one I have with the oil pan off? Or does crank have to be removed to tell?

thanks in advance

Bad Shrimp

Now that the thread has mentioned cast vs. forged cranks.......is there an obvious way to tell which one I have with the oil pan off? Or does crank have to be removed to tell?

thanks in advance

Bad Shrimp
I always use the "Ping" test,
Tap it with a brass hammer or lightly with a wrench. Forged will ping for a bit. This has to be done with the crank out and standing on end.
If you do take it out be sure to store it standing on end and not lying down, just my two pennies.

Front harmonic balancer would be a dead give away the cast crank has a bigger balancer that tapers of towards the end and will usually say cas crank on it. And the forged balancers look thiner and Have square sides and don't taper off. Hope that helps that is of course if it's still on the crank. Lol

Forged cranks have a wide line on the counter balance on the crank while cast have a narrow line. I don't have any pics handy, though.

-
Back