440source rockers now available

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had posted about these several months ago and it looks like their ductile rockers are now available. Pricing looks very fair.

IMG_9949.jpeg

IMG_9948.jpeg

Thinkin about building a 512, my family lives about an hour from their shop. Their stuff is usually very competitive on pricing.

20231204_161221.jpg

20231204_161208.jpg

20231204_161156.jpg

20231204_161107.jpg

20231204_161050.jpg

I was just lookng for @pittsburghracer other post to show these pics. Just received these today for a customer engine. Shafts are not banana grooved. Rockers are not bushed. There is a deep groove inside the rocker for the oiling holes I marked with straws. While they are a nice looking rocker, I seem to remember the Crane and Isky stuff being a little more robust. Adjusting screws seem kinda cheap. Will work for a hydraulic or mild solid. Anything with spring pressure may cause issues. I have not looked up any info on these. This is what the customer had sent to me for his build. Cam we're using is a 228/232 @ .050.

I’ll post pictures of the new set of 1.6 Crane rockers for comparison later today if I remember. FYI, even the rocker shafts on the Max Wedges were not banana grooved.

I’ll post pictures of the new set of 1.6 Crane rockers for comparison later today if I remember. FYI, even the rocker shafts on the Max Wedges were not banana grooved.
I believe you are correct on the grooves. I like your call sign. That's what this 440 is going into. Actual numbers matching block.

When I spoke to them about ordering a set of these for a 470 build, they steered me away. Sounded like they only recommend them for mild street builds. They sure do look nice though.

Personally I would never buy a set, but I suppose for a milder build they might be okay. However I would strongly suggest to getting rid of the springs and install solid spacer in between the rockers. You do not want the variable alignment those springs provide.

Tom

Personally I would never buy a set, but I suppose for a milder build they might be okay. However I would strongly suggest to getting rid of the springs and install solid spacer in between the rockers. You do not want the variable alignment those springs provide.

Tom
The springs should be fine. That‘s the way that Mopar did it.

The springs should be fine. That‘s the way that Mopar did it.

60 years ago when Mopar designed them they didn't have cam profiles and spring pressures they do now, but if you think they are okay then use them.

However, if you really care about your rocker arm alignment ditch the springs and put solid spacers in.

Tom

These are probably better for a more serious build but at this point I’m buying Harland Sharp rockers.

Detailed Description

For those who like the strength and simplicity of a bushed rocker setup without the more complex roller bearing, these are just the ticket. These feature fully pressurized oiling passages from the shaft to both the pushrod tip and the valve tip roller. As you can see in the pictures (click on the "view additional images" button for more detailed pictures) the quality on these is amazing. Made of high strength 17-4PH stainless, this complete kit includes EVERYTHING needed for a complete installation: 16 arms and two shafts, adjusters and 12 point locknuts for the arms, billet steel shaft holddowns with studs, washers and 12 point locknuts, 8 spacers to separate each pair of rockers, thin shims to set your rocker side clearance correctly, and EVEN a set of two checking pushrods so you can measure for the correct pushrod length. Please note: These rockers use standard BALL-BALL style pushrods, not the ball-cup style like most Aluminum bodied rocker arms use.

IMG_0647.jpeg

Looks like a nice option for a mild build than having to source original parts that are worn out and over priced.

I'm running original max ductile on a 557 purple solid, have used them on a 312°-.590. If I didn't have these, I'd give the 440 source ones a try.
I just wish the bushed stainless ones were available with the Victor head offset.

Here are original Cranes. They have the same grooves and oil holes. They were always a very strong rocker arm. If the 440 source are anything like the originals you'll be fine! There were also Crane knock offs made by Elgin or Crane made them for Elgin.

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

Any chance they've indicated the country of origin on these?

-
Back