4452783 purple cam

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys are the purple cams from mopar still purple? i just got one and there is no purple anywhere. thanks

They used to be.

You could always paint it purple yourself...

I heard that they changed suppliers a few years ago and had some problems. (Like coming out of the box brand new in two pieces and then Mopar refusing to warranty them... WTF???) I would check yours out very carefully to make sure that it is ok.

Also watch the MP piston TDC tool, The spark plug threads are no good and they will not screw in. Check them in a head before handing over your cash. You can't chase them with a die, because they are hardened.

The "new" supplier's name rhymed with "Romp Cams" (or as Scooby Doo would say, "Romp Rams")....

If it isnt that would be false advertising and open them up for a law suit.

ive bought 2 in the last year from Summit, they dont have purple on them no more, both mine came same way, but according to the number on the camshaft its what i bought!!!

i was pissed how they packed it also. i will be inspecting it good before install. also no lube was in the box.

Mine came in a Mopar box and was purple but there was no lube which it said on the box came with it...So i had to buy assembly lube...I read that they are now made by Comp. Cams so why not just buy it from Comp Cams and save the mark up...Bill

Purple shafts is another marketing name - like Shaker or Hemi. The reality is they just had a coating of something purple (paint?) to keep the blanks from rusting. Because all of Direct Connection cams had this coating, they were all "purple shafts". It stuck. Now they don't need that coating. I'm not sure Comp makes them but admittedly I could be wrong there. I would think it's an offshore producer given the cost.

-
Back