$450 chinese turbo and 600 plus HP(food 4 thought)

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I read an interesting article in one of my magazines were they built a 600 plus HP stock 350 with an ebay $450 chinese turbo.They got the motor from the bone yard with 160K on it. I think they were getting 5000 to 10000 miles out of the bearings.in the turbo(bearings being the weak link)
I could post the article if anybodies interested?
I wonder why they didn't upgrade the bearings? The article said other than the bearings not being the best the units were pretty substantial

I'ld say post away. Information is information. You can never have too much.

Post the link,I am always interested in all turbo builds.
TXDart

I read an interesting article in one of my magazines were they built a 600 plus HP stock 350 with an ebay $450 chinese turbo.They got the motor from the bone yard with 160K on it. I think they were getting 5000 to 10000 miles out of the bearings.in the turbo(bearings being the weak link)
I could post the article if anybodies interested?
I wonder why they didn't upgrade the bearings? The article said other than the bearings not being the best the units were pretty substantial

If your Drain for the Turbo is not up to par you could damage the turbo and have early failure. The turbo's I am using are bought off ebay. Everyone was saying they would never last. I did a bunch of research and all the people that said they would not last were never the end users. Matter of fact I could not find a single end user that had a failure with them. Kind of weird....

Here is a BB 468 CI Chevrolet that has been running for 5 seasons now without any problems at all. Runs 8.8 in the 1/4 at 158MPH also.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6VdAHJFh3Y"]Mike's 1967 Ebay Twin Turbo Powered BBC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npwI7gJRTNw&feature=player_embedded"]47 Street car Shoot-Out Edm - YouTube[/ame]

Single Ebay GT45 Turbo with a 75 Shot of Dry NOS. with a Junk Yard 5.3 Liter, Runs a 6. something at 109MPH in the 1/8.....
I talked to this guy and he said that Failure with any turbo is usually linked to drainage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTV8QTIVYB0&feature=player_embedded"]michasmovie.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Post the link,I am always interested in all turbo builds.
TXDart

There is no Link
I will scan the article in and post a page a day on here if thats Ok??
Great article and real complete with a parts list for the turbo guy on a budget
The mags a year old so not on the stands "LS1"

A good friend of mine put together a LQ4 6.0 engine with a single turbo for his old Ford truck. Thing runs like a striped ape.

Here's a long thread about the Chinese gt45 y2004k turbo. I read most of that thread when it 1st started. It seems the reason these fail is they need to be pulled apart and cleaned, before bolting them on. Dirt and nasty little chips are not a turbos best friend.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96046.0
My good friend,Mark stated the exact thing on some turbos he purchased off of Ebay,He took his apart and cleaned out the machining thrash,
He has been running them hard on his 318 powered fury for over a year now.
He is on his second stock 318.
TXDart

Here's a long thread about the Chinese gt45 y2004k turbo. I read most of that thread when it 1st started. It seems the reason these fail is they need to be pulled apart and cleaned, before bolting them on. Dirt and nasty little chips are not a turbos best friend.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96046.0

Took mine apart there was nothing to clean. Alot of what you hear about these turbos and failure is second hand information. I can not find where 1 has failed yet from an end user. It's always my brothers friends second cousins brother in laws uncles dads sisters husband.....

It did not hurt to check though...I would and my friend I have know for over 20 years said he was glad he did and he is very happy with them.
TXDart
I have been researching them for my 318 and /6 and will be running them with total confidence that they will work and last.

It did not hurt to check though...I would and my friend I have know for over 20 years said he was glad he did and he is very happy with them.
TXDart
I have been researching them for my 318 and /6 and will be running them with total confidence that they will work and last.

Yeah I took everything apart on the whole combo. I had to fix a few orings on the waste gates but other than that it was all good.

I have a chinese ebay T3 on my bug and have over 20,000 miles on it to date this year alone! works fine. I have had Garrett turbos come apart and nothing went through my motor put on another one and good to go, If the Chinese turbo explodes inplodes what ever ill bolt on another. I do not personally know anyone that has had a Chinese turbo failure so far.

Have fun!
Joe

Stock block crank rods with cast pistons and 110,000 miles. 2 TO4s 16 pounds of boost leaving on 5 pounds. Made it 15 passes then bent the cast crank. This was an "easy" pass. Best it went was 5.80 at 123. [ame="http://youtu.be/0az2CoZ3TUE"]302 Found[/ame]

R
Stock block crank rods with cast pistons and 110,000 miles. 2 TO4s 16 pounds of boost leaving on 5 pounds. Made it 15 passes then bent the cast crank. This was an "easy" pass. Best it went was 5.80 at 123. 302 Found

That's a solid 9 sec ride :)

hello was talking to my friend about this kind of build today.... wow. i was going to buy one but thought it was "too cheap" for a turbo kit... but the more i read up the more its cheap but not in quality. i might go for it after read this. any one i should get for my 318?

TXDart you said that your good friend,Mark purchased off of Ebay,
He has been running them hard on his 318 powered fury for over a year now.
He is on his second stock 318... can you tell me what kind of setup he has or what he used... i want some info on how to start on the project. thanks.

first hand knowledge you say you have not gotten.
now this is not with the big snail turbos, but to ebay knockoffs in general.

some guys say, hey, ill throw a cheap turbo on a cheap motor, but go look, do you see anyone with 10 into just their engine running these knock-offs?, becsides the ones"just trying them to see how long they last" that is what they all say.

i have used and worked on plenty of 90-99 eclipse gsx, eagle talon tsi, and plymouth laser cars. alot like to run what is called a evo 16g turbo. if you go on ebay, you will find the knock-off version quite cheaper. almost half the cost.

i hgave not had myself, or a friend, that had me put a knock off turbo on, last more than a few higher boost levels.

now do not get me wrong. it may because on our cars, we usually run at a minumum of 23psi for a solid quick awd car, to where v8 cars are running lower boost?
sure, i could bolt a snail on one of these dsm's, but full boost of 15 lbs at 6k is not to the advantage in 4 cyl.

tx, i love your thread on your build.
i am not knocking china slugs, but i myself have not had any luck with them. every one i put on a car, had to do a refresh on the engine in order not to loose a crank or rod to metal in the oil system.

but i say what i say because my brother in law does have a KNOCK OFF ON HIS AWD ECLIPSE, RUNNING 15 LBS OF BOOST, AND HAS OVER 30K ON THE THING.

I THINK THEY ARE A HIT AND MISS TYPE OF THING.
also, come on guys. think about it. if they are so "bad-***, why would you have to pull a ew turbo apart just to clean it out. it makes no sence other than their quality control is horrible, or they are just squinting too much while building them.lmao

A turbo draws and returns oil from your engine. Your engine is the source of lubrication so if the cheap turbo comes apart there goes your engine-right?????
WOW enough typed!!! NO THANKS To THE" HUFLUNGPOO TURBO"S"The article I promised to post used a junkyard motor with 160K . They gave 1000 bucks for the motor and trans, bolted on the 450 dollar turbo and went racing.
I work to hard for my money to take a chance. If i cant afford good parts I go bowling till i save for the good stuff

A turbo draws and returns oil from your engine. Your engine is the source of lubrication so if the cheap turbo comes apart there goes your engine-right?????
WOW enough typed!!! NO THANKS To THE" HUFLUNGPOO TURBO"S"The article I promised to post used a junkyard motor with 160K . They gave 1000 bucks for the motor and trans, bolted on the 450 dollar turbo and went racing.
I work to hard for my money to take a chance. If i cant afford good parts I go bowling till i save for the good stuff

Yeah I heard somewhere that spending more money is always better, makes the most sense!

Your good parts will come apart just like the rest of them and that is no BS. Building any engine combination is Taking a Chance.

What I really don't understand is I can't find anywhere, and I looked all over the place, where one of these Turbo's has came apart and someone lost their engine...... Somebody Please prove me wrong. I will gladly accept it if you do.

-
Back