450 holley help

-

vitamindart

Reaction score
ok, I have a 450 holley ( mech secondary ) on my 225. the short block is a re-ring/bearing with .120 milled off the block, little .465 lift erson cam w/222 dur@.050, ported head with 1.70/1.44 valves. Aussie intake & Clifford headers, scavenger y into 3" exhaust. 904 trans w/2800-300- stall & 3.23 gears.

I know the 450 is probably not the best choice but, its new and its what I have.
the car runs decent, has some pep. I swapped out the metering plate for one with jets to help with tuning. timing is set at 30 deg. ( 20 initial - 10 mech. ) I have tried more & less this is where I get the most vacuum without any pinging. 15" max.

looking for advice/help to get the most out of this combination.
also looking to figure out why it likes to stall under 1000 rpm when coming to a stop.

pretty sure its something simple and stupid that I have overlooked.

Thanks!

ok, I have a 450 holley ( mech secondary ) on my 225. the short block is a re-ring/bearing with .120 milled off the block, little .465 lift erson cam w/222 dur@.050, ported head with 1.70/1.44 valves. Aussie intake & Clifford headers, scavenger y into 3" exhaust. 904 trans w/2800-300- stall & 3.23 gears.

I know the 450 is probably not the best choice but, its new and its what I have.
the car runs decent, has some pep. I swapped out the metering plate for one with jets to help with tuning. timing is set at 30 deg. ( 20 initial - 10 mech. ) I have tried more & less this is where I get the most vacuum without any pinging. 15" max.

looking for advice/help to get the most out of this combination.
also looking to figure out why it likes to stall under 1000 rpm when coming to a stop.

pretty sure its something simple and stupid that I have overlooked.

Thanks!
If you’re looking for something other than a Holley I’ve got a carter competition 500 that I took off my slant 6 recently that ran great. Pm me if you’re interested.

Jake

Float level(s), mechanical timing advance (too early?), vacuum leaks....that's my $0.02CDN...

Ding!, Ding! Ding! rear float was set way high, timing was too advanced ( forgot about the advance when it was set originally.
hopefully it will stop raining soon so I can get it out and see if its all fixed. if not maybe its time to pull those wipers and re seal the arms

Ding!, Ding! Ding! rear float was set way high, timing was too advanced ( forgot about the advance when it was set originally.
hopefully it will stop raining soon so I can get it out and see if its all fixed. if not maybe its time to pull those wipers and re seal the arms
Hopefully you found the problems.

.120 off the head. nice! I was going to say maybe a vent extension if the obvious float level was good. What jets did you end up running?

.120 was off the block :) felt that gave me more bang for the buck. funny you mention the bowl vent. I noticed it was hitting the inside of my air cleaner lid. so I took a 1/4" off it. I am still messing with the jetting as it seemed stupid rich. noticed at some point I swapped the PV with a plug. no wonder it seems to drink gas the little I have driven it. I have the as stock 58 jets up front now ( put a PV back in ) and have some 64s in the back. hope that works. didn't even start it back up since all the carb parts swapped.
found a broken turn signal wire. ended up ripping the whole front harness out to repair it and upgrade the headlight wiring. going to put a couple relays in for them.

That wasnt the vent I was after, but if you found another issue, good you caught it. The vent I was talking about is inside the bowl. I got a wideband for some carb fun and EFI. that should nail my AFR question.

-
Back