451 BB build OPINIONS!!

-

Ptdartfreak

Mopar freak
Reaction score
i have finnally found a motor that i think is good to go i will know for sure in the next week or so

i have the six pack 440 rods
and a forged 440 crank that has been lightend
and a crappy eddy intake

so i figured i would build a 451 stroker motor

How would you build it carb to pan

i want this motor built road racing not drag racing this will go in my 67 dart

i am on a budget so nothing outrageous but if i have the extra money i will put that into the motor:snakeman:

thanks

chad
i will have a 4 speed behind it along with 3.50 gears in the rear

Ditch the six pac rods for a set of LYs with good bolts, or get a set of 440 Source I beams but budget to have them carefully checked and fixed. If this is budget, run the KB280 and have the dome milled off. If you have soem cash, run the Diamond flat tops. Run pistons at zero deck. Stick a set of Stealths (if budget) or RPMS if you have the $$, I'd run a solid flat tappet something around 230°@.050 and call it done. Stock oil system, some sort of adjustable rockers..

Your stock 440 crank is the hp cap here. Dont build for more than 600 hp as the crank will crack.

You can port 452 heads to flow about 270-280 and that will get you 550 ish hp.

Maybe some shumacker headers or some dougs. Stay away from the tti,they charge too much.Manifolds are restricting.

Road racing you may want to consider a floating oil pickup.

Ive heard of the B body headers fitting here with the Low deck. If you have the 6 pack rods and there good I would use them I know that there not as light as the LY but you HAVE the 6 pack ones now. Get a set of flat top pistons have it all cut and balanced. Then get your block done.

Yup the b body hedman hedders will work just as good as the pricey stuff with only a few clearance dings. However it has to be a low deck block.

Now Summit carries ceramic coated headers for a big block b body.They are the sumit brand. I wonder how they will fit?

Not a realistic goal with those heads. If you're not under budget constraints you'll be looking at lots of porting to reach that level, not to mention the cam and valvetrain that's going to require. I would be starting with a set of Indy SREZs with a mild port cleanup, run the Diamond flat top, a port matched M1 with a spacer, and a solid flat tappet with lift around .630 and at least 250°@.050. You're basically building a light .060 over 440 here. So for 600hp it's going to need a good head and the power will be up in the rpms.

I used the six pack rods...had them shot peened...resized and new ARP wavelock bolts...no problems...I also used the sharp forged crank...no problems....I used the KB237 flat top pistions with 5cc notches..spent my big bucks on comp roller lifters....comp roller cam...and eddy heads...best bang for the buck..440 Source pan, windage tray, pickup tube, 1.6 ratio rockers and aluminum water pump housing...I dumped their water pump in the trash...check out my recent 440 build and it may save you lots of money and give you some ideas..

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=96239

The only issue I see with the sixpac rods are they are heavy, and they are no stronger than an LY rod because they use the same size rod bolts. The bolts are the weak point so you end up swinging more weight than you need to and getting no benefit as a result. just my opinion but I rarely see rods a problem. Usually the blocks give out first.

..........With 6 pac rods it will b alot slower reving....and not make as much horse power.....all the new stroker kits use light er,stronger parts so they can spin up faster.............kim......

The only issue I see with the sixpac rods are they are heavy, and they are no stronger than an LY rod because they use the same size rod bolts. The bolts are the weak point so you end up swinging more weight than you need to and getting no benefit as a result. just my opinion but I rarely see rods a problem. Usually the blocks give out first.
Yea try to break one of those six pack rods...MO is that they were built so that they would never break....shitcan the stock bolts and put the ARP wavelock bolts in them and I said to....they will never fail...I am tired on guys giving them bad results...if I was building a 700-1000 HP motor I would not use them...

I wrote a whole book on the subject so rather than posting the info again I'll just post the link!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934709034/"]Amazon.com: How to Build Max-performance Mopar Big Blocks (S-A Design) (9781934709030): Andy Finkbeiner: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XFAXfQVjL.@@AMEPARAM@@61XFAXfQVjL[/ame]

The reason I ask is I bought the one by Don Taylor. Does yours go indepth on assembly too? And have some power tips as well? Im a beginner but like info.

Yea try to break one of those six pack rods...MO is that they were built so that they would never break....shitcan the stock bolts and put the ARP wavelock bolts in them and I said to....they will never fail...I am tired on guys giving them bad results...if I was building a 700-1000 HP motor I would not use them...

I hope you knocked on wood after saying that , NOTHING is bulletproof :bootysha:

Here is a pic of my 451 (stock 383 in disguise....lol) :-\" Now I just need to find the time to finish my notch back ](*,)

IMG_2379.jpg

I am building a 451 street motor...440 forged crank and ly rods srp forged alum. pistons with a comp cam 564 lift hyd w/ 1.6 stainless roller tip rocker for a final .601 lift I am spending the money for the heads though...Indy 440 EZ and port work by Knowltans. A Friend did this exact build and got 620 hp! His motor sounds tamer than my 440 / 292 509 motor but churns out about 100 more horse and torque!

That is exactly what I'd like to do!
Are those the 440 Source 'Stealth' aluminum heads or original iron units?

Those look like stealths , look at the holes for the alternator mount awfully silvery looking.

I used the six pack rods...had them shot peened...resized and new ARP wavelock bolts...no problems...I also used the sharp forged crank...no problems....I used the KB237 flat top pistions with 5cc notches..spent my big bucks on comp roller lifters....comp roller cam...and eddy heads...best bang for the buck..440 Source pan, windage tray, pickup tube, 1.6 ratio rockers and aluminum water pump housing...I dumped their water pump in the trash...check out my recent 440 build and it may save you lots of money and give you some ideas..

For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
I know this is an older post, but I saw your build long ago. I lost the bookmark on it. Can you refresh it? It had some great ideas. Debating on a 451 or a 440 a body. Thanks, Mark

Ditch the six pac rods for a set of LYs with good bolts, or get a set of 440 Source I beams but budget to have them carefully checked and fixed.Stick a set of Stealths (if budget) or RPMS if you have the $$, I'd run a solid flat tappet something around 230°@.050 and call it done. Stock oil system, some sort of adjustable rockers..

I like the ARP wavloc bolts and the Moroso road race oil pan.

I'd run a little more cam than that. My [email protected] cam is real mild and you'll be on the throttle way more than me putting around town.

-
Back