451 Combo under a stock 1969 Dart Hood

-

John Burback

TUCR_John
Reaction score
Okay just wanted to know if anyone has done this.
I want to fit a 451 stroker and not cut the hood up.

I have a 400 block 440 crank ready to go.

My plans are so far Edelbrock heads, RPM Air Gap manifold (if it fits).

Anyone else try this combo in theirs. This is more of a street budget build with aluminum heads.

John

If it helps I have a 440 With performer RPM under factory hood in my 71 Demon. 1 3/4” drop base air cleaner. Not sure what RPM air gap would be. The 400 is a little shorter than the 440.

What k frame & mounts are you using? The B lock is a short deck engine compared to the RB engine. They installed 383's in Formula S Barracuda's & GTS Darts without problems. It also depends on what intake you decide to run on your application. That's just a start, we need more information about the project.

What k frame & mounts are you using? The B lock is a short deck engine compared to the RB engine. They installed 383's in Formula S Barracuda's & GTS Darts without problems. It also depends on what intake you decide to run on your application. That's just a start, we need more information about the project.

I was thinking RPM Air Gap. I was going to go with Schumacher Mounts but that does not seem to be an option. So maybe now a Gerst Suspension. I was wondering more of fitment with the RPM Air Gap intake.

It'll fit. Good luck finding Schumacher mounts.

There is an instructional post about modifying a spool mount k frame done by Jim Lusk. Look in the "How To" section.

I know I waited too long. I had thought about getting them 2 years ago... My loss.

Do the same I am going to do. Get some later spool mounts and make some simple brackets to bolt them to the stock mount pads. Simple.

Apparently if you have a spool k member. These mounts work

1973-1976 B & C body big block spool type stamping numbers 3642814-3642815

I found a pair on ebay that I am hoarding for a future swap.

Otherwise its motorplate.

My 451 barely fit under the flat hood on my '72 Dart with the Edelbrock RPM airgap manifold and a 1/2" spacer. 3" air cleaner with a 1-something inch drop base.
Now I have an AAR Fiberglass six-pack hood and it clears everything but a tunnel ram :)

My 400/451 fit under a 65 Barracuda hood with a standard drop based air cleaner and a Holley street dominator intake with a TQ. short single plane. Don't think it would fit an air gap. The air cleaner wing nut self clearanced the hood insulation. Pan was the lowest it could go.

Should fit good.
I have a B Block 383 under the hood of a 67 Valiant with the Performer RPM and a 750 Holley. With a Stock Aircleaner Cover and a selfmade Baseplate and 3" Arcleaner.
So no worrys about it.

-
Back