451 motor

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
got a good deal on a short block so now i have a 400/451 motor now...bob and myself took it apart today and things look pretty good so far:D and will post on whats going on with it as we go..i have pic of the motor before and after shoots will post on here soon have to get them off my phone.....as far as the motor and parts go ..its a ray barton build short block with rb billet steel mains,miliodon gear drive,eagle 4340 stroker crank,eagle hbeam rods,cam motion custom cam 713 lift with my 1.6 rockers,msd dist,400-2 intake with a ton of work...will have a set of 440-1 heads flow 350,and t&d rocker 1.6,so lets hear what you guys think this thing will make for power:supz:

wo[-o<w i hope for more then that but who knows lol

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 853
  • 002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 857
  • 003.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 859
  • 004.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 842
  • 005.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 848
  • get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 857
Low compression 550 to 600.You ha ve head,your cam lift tells me between 10.0 to 11.5.If you have that ,I'll guess 625 to 700....being conservative.....

sorry comp is going to 14.1..cam lift is after lash hope for at lease 700:prayer:

I like the way you build motors.You running that comp ,easy once tuned.What's the recipient of all this mayhem?(lol!)

Now seeing your compression and with heads flowing in the 350 range,yes you should be up above 650hp.:banghead:

gonna try to find e85 around here and if i can its going on that..lol this is my first big block so hope it works out with the good hands of bob i think we will be ok...:glasses7:

well want to up date this post on the 451 motor...doing a little checking on the heads and cleaning them up...thanks bob for all your help...
we got 260 on all but 2 i think that had to use a shim and 1 at 270 on the seat...will keep pics and progress on the build....:glasses7:

Attachments

• heads cleaned up.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 787
  • valves and springs.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 795
  • spring tester.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 786
thanks hope to have it ready in a few weeks....:prayer:

pretty stout combination. Is the cam duration in the 270's @ 0.050"?
I'd guess 650 to 700 HP?
4150 carb, even 950 or 1,000 cfm may limit power.
4500 with adaptor might be better if you have the hood clearance.

cam duration is 273 in/282ex with 690in/661 with 1.6 rockers its 713in/682ex after lash:burnout:... carb will be a 1050 or bigger with plate to fit 4150 top.. hope i can get it going soon last few days have dropped alot in my lap :banghead:to deal with so maybe it'll happen soon..mike

well gonna be out of town for maybe 2 weeks working so i work will be slow ..lol bob has done some more cleaning and stuff to the parts ... so i really want to say thanks bob for all your help buddy mike:notworth:

What springs and install height?
I have PAC 1325 springs at 1.950" install height on my 500' stroked 400. About the same seat pressure as yours, and just a bit over 700# open (0.714" lift.)

sorry havent been on much out of town working...but we plan to set them up at 2" installed..dont know the brand of top but they was use with a little more cam then this 1 like 731 lift ...i have that cam as well ..just gonna try this fisrt..the other is a lunati cam i have the specs but not with me...maybe will have this thing going by soon....just have to work on getting the body next....mike

let me hear more about that 500 lol

sorry havent been on much out of town working...but we plan to set them up at 2" installed..dont know the brand of top but they was use with a little more cam then this 1 like 731 lift ...i have that cam as well ..just gonna try this fisrt..the other is a lunati cam i have the specs but not with me...maybe will have this thing going by soon....just have to work on getting the body next....mike

let me hear more about that 500 lol

The 500 is a '71 cast 400 block bored to 4.375" with the 440 source 4.15" stroker kit and the flat top pistons. I have the BCR aluminum main caps and girdle kit to beef the bottom end. I used a custom comp solid roller cam ground with the HXL lobes. A mild 264/264 @ 0.050" duration, 112 LSA, 0.714" lift with 1.6:1 T&D rocker arms. Originally I was going to use a larger cam, but I wanted good piston to valve clearance, and the short block was already together so I did not want to have larger valve reliefs cut into the pistons. The heads are the Edelbrock Victor Max wedge heads with just a little port cleanup. I had to clearance the pushrod holes alot on these heads.
I originally setup mt valve springs for 2.00" install height using +0.100 retainers, and +0.050" locks, but the edge of the retainer was just touching the inside of the T&D rocker arms, so I used standard locks and a 1.950" install height. My first rocker setup used some shims between the rocker stands and the rocker shaft. This lasted about 50-street miles till I split a rocker stand in half. So, I had the rocker stands milled off and used the billit aluminum max wedge rocker stands. I had it setup to be slightly higher than the original setup so I could use lash caps and still have good geometry, but I had to get new longer pushrods. Because of the offset rocker arms, the intake pushrod length is 0.025" longer than the exhaust pushrod.
Anyhow, the compression worked out to 12.4:1.
I was planing to run this on E-85 with the Indy tunnel ram, but I don't have the $$$$ for that setup/conversion yet, so I decided to re-use my Holley 4150 HP 1,000 cfm carb with the Indy 400-2 intake.
The engine runs pretty good, and idles nice with the wide lsa cam, but power is pretty flat above 6,000 RPM when I chassis dynoed the car? A/F ratio looked good, so I'm not sure if it is the carb airflow (should have checked my vacuum gauge?) or maybe I need stiffer pushrods? Currently using the 0.083' wall 3/8" smith brothers pushrods?
At the track (Bandimere) I have only run 11.66 @ 119 MPH.
This is in my '71 Charger street car that weighs #4,100 lbs, and has a near stock suspension with large torsen bars, and sway bars, and the M/T street radials. I'm usually happy to have 60' times under 1.8.
I'm saving up for a strange S60 with the 4.10 spooled rear axle and new tires.

I'm curious on your suggestions on keeping a big block cool in the small grill of a 67
dart. I already have had issues with my stroked 408 and griffin radiator so I need to
know now what will I need to cool a 440 with 4000 stall convertor, reverse pattern 727 with a transbrake/linelock, and SFI Superbell from JW Transmission to keep my feet.
At the starting line down here in West Palm Beach/ Moroso international things get a
little HOT. Arnold

keeping the car cool from my understanding is...good radiator,good cap,water pump and if its a electric fan you need a shroud and all the sides closed in...if air can pass by or through the sides you can not cool as good or well as if it just pass from the fan it self..also cfm....what i have read is if you drive and the temp stays normal and you stop and temp goes up ,you have a flow problem fans,or pump,or radiator not big enough...my 340 had dome tops and was bout 11.5 comp and i could drive the car anywhere with 1 electric fan,new pump (from auto zone) and alum. radiator, and 160 stat,, race the car 1/8 mile no problem....i tried water wetter didnt see any diff. except money was gone...also timing is everything on temp......i could be off but i didnt have any problems with my set up..oh and the fan came from kmc about 45.00 bucks ...mike:D

well its slow but its coming.:wack:..just dont want this post to die...but i do want to thank my buddy bob shingler:cheers: for all the help and work he has and is doing...ive been out with my back for a week:banghead: and hope to get some more parts and progress on this thing.:prayer:..again thanks bob for all your help mike:D:burnout:

will post more pics as it go

-
Back