451 stroker, short connecting rods vs. long connecting rods.

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Hello,

I have spent many hours reading threads on this site and other forums about 451 stroker builds. Specifically concerning whether or not to go with the stock 400 rods or the stock 440 rods. After reading through all of the information I am still a bit confused. It sounds like the 400 rod will be a better bottom end (Torque) rod due to it's shorter length, but that the increased piston weight will slow down the rev time. And that a 440 rod will be a better top end rod due to it's longer length (dwell time) and be able to use a lighter piston thus increasing rev time, am I understanding this correctly? My decisions about as clear as mud on which set to use, most say to use what you got and that the difference is marginal. I currently have a set of stock 400 rods and will have to purchase a set of stock 440 rods if I go that direction. Please help?

Thanks,
Brandon

If your just dealing with the STOCK 400 or 440 rods use what you have. If you had to buy a good set of aftermarket rods I would say go with the 440 rods.

Rev time and all that is something you will not notice. Its such a minimal thing. Stock 440s rev pretty good and their pistons are freaking heavy! Dont read to much into it, your not building a 800hp monster motor to rev to 8000rpm. Either way, it will run good.

If you are planning on using stock rods then definately use what you have. The operational difference will negligible in your case. Only at the very highest performance levels will there be a difference.

Oh hi Mike.

If your just dealing with the STOCK 400 or 440 rods use what you have. If you had to buy a good set of aftermarket rods I would say go with the 440 rods.

Rev time and all that is something you will not notice. Its such a minimal thing. Stock 440s rev pretty good and their pistons are freaking heavy! Dont read to much into it, your not building a 800hp monster motor to rev to 8000rpm. Either way, it will run good.

If you are planning on using stock rods then definately use what you have. The operational difference will negligible in your case. Only at the very highest performance levels will there be a difference.

I agree with the two gentleman above and while i don't have the standing that they have, one thing i can tell you is, take their advise and sleep well tonight :icon_smi:.

My goal is to make a fun stop light to stop light cruise night car and possibly take it to the local 1/8 mile strip on occasion. Motor is going into a 73 Duster with a 727 transmission and will need to run on pump gas.

The proposed build. Please let me know what you think and feel free to make suggestions. What kind of horsepower/torque do you think this thing will make.

400 stock block.
440 forged crank if needed and cast if not.
400 stock rods.
215 or 251 KB hypereutectic pistons.
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .545 hyd. flat tappet, duration of .050"/241 on the intake/247 on the exhaust/110 degree lobe seperation.
440 Source Stealth heads or worked 906/452 heads.
Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.
Holley HP 850 carb.
2500 to 2800 stall converter.
3.55 gears.

Thanks,
Brandon

I agree with the guys saying it's nothing you're goning to feel or notice either way. I'm partial to longer rods for street engines if there's a choice. But that's just me.

ive built a 451 before,depending if this will be a strip or street car,i used a 440 crank,440 rods and custom ross pistons

-
Back