452 heads

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Im looking at a set of "ported" 452 heads. Curious is what he is say is correct? My cam will be right around .540 and .560 solid cam. What kind power could I expect with these on a .030 over 440 10 to 1 comp. .540 solid cam. Dual tunnel ram? 500hp? Does the flow support that? Also are these fully ported? Assuming there stock CC combustion chambers. How much would I have to take off the head to get them down to 84ccThanks again and happy Thanksgiving.

i have a pair of ported 452 big block heads i need to sell. these heads flow 268/220 around 500-550 lift. stock small valves with upgraded hemi type springs and retainers. they can bolt on a milder engine as is worry free or do as you wish with bigger valves etc if thats what you want.

Josh, it all depende on who ported them and how good a job they did. If they know what they're doing, then they may well be damn good heads. On the other hand, they might not flow any better than a dead dog. That's the chance you take when you buy heads already ported. Does he know who ported them? Do they come with flow numbers? I'm not sure I would want to spend the money without proof. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I don't want to see you get taken. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

What do the other heads flow ? I don't see why you can't make the HP number you want with the current heads you have .

Ok maybe im misleading here. I dont have heads. This was the sale ad:

i have a pair of ported 452 big block heads i need to sell. these heads flow 268/220 around 500-550 lift. stock small valves with upgraded hemi type springs and retainers. they can bolt on a milder engine as is worry free or do as you wish with bigger valves etc if thats what you want.

I posted my build direction to see how yall thought these would fit. Only draw back would be compression. i wont be at 10 to 1 if I dont have them milled.

ok , yes your post was misleading it sounded like you had a set and needed the sell them to buy the other set ...

anyway , what's the planned use of the car ? 10.0 compression with that cam and open chamber heads is not going to run on the swill you get at the local station unless it's E85 .

Hot Street car maybe a little strip time. I figured it would run ok on pump gas. 91 is pretty common round here. Here is the cam card. The way I figure it now. If I 0 deck the block till be at about 9.7 to 1

Attachments

• cam card.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,643
Those are simple flow numbers anyone can spout, Josh. When you get heads professionally ported, you get a full report that includes flow from low to high RPM along with what lift those flow number are acheived. I would never take anyone's word for it. That's a lot of dough to possibly throw away. I'm not trying to say he's trying to rip anybody off, but if he had the heads professionally ported, he'll have paper work to back it up. If not, I would be leary. PM Justin (1wildandcrazyguy) and see what he thinks. He does port work and he's very good at it.

I did try to PM wild his box was full. The price on them is very reasonable. And I can actually afford these. All I can do is have them checked and go from there. I was just more curious as to how these would work on my build.

There is enough flow there to potentially get you to 500 HP.

Are they fully ported? No.

cc the heads and mill them .0042" for every cc you want to reduce the combustion chamber size. If they were 88cc they would need to be milled .017", 90cc, mill them .025". For every .010" you mill off the combustion chamber surface you should mill the intake surface .0123" so the intake manifold will line up.

I think you could run the 91 octane, @ 9.7:1 compression, with that cam you have listed.

We used a set of 452 heads, flowing 295 cfm, to get 620 HP from a 451/400, 91 octane, 9.5:1 compression, 950 cfm 4150, M1 single plane, solid roller 254/260 @ .050, .582"/.588" lift.

I have successfully run 11.9:1 compression with iron open chamber heads, 280/288 @ .050 and 91 octane.

Thank you for answering my questions. I didnt think they were fully ported. Im assuming they are stock combustion chamber size. Using the calculator I put in 88cc as I thought thats what stock heads were. Im still waiting on him to answer a few questions. Not sure how that cam is going to like that low of compression.

Your cam won't mind it a bit. The 254/260 @ .050 worked well at 9.5:1. We did not dyno it any lower than 3900rpm but it was making 547 lb-ft of torque there.

sorry..lol my inbox is cleared now.
whats the flow per lift .100-.500?
Im with IQ, though figure out where u want it to idle rpm wise and where the gears are, like said..u can bleed a ton off with more at .050...but unless its a roller...it'll eat away at the bottom end real quick the bigger u go...and with ur lift/flow limitaion...a flat will get lumpy quick as that .050 go's up.

btw hope ur all having a good thanksgiving

Gear ratio is 4.10 3500 stall and 28" tires. I was holding out for alum heads. Then I seen these. one reason I wanted the alum was the flow. I can see if I can get full flow specs fromt he guy. For the price he is asking its worth a chance. Short of having them checked and lapping the valves I was hoping to put these on and have it fit inline with my combo. Wanting a nice lumpy hot street car. With good power.

.030 over 440
Speed Pro LE2355 pistons flat tops With an 90cc head I show 9.5 to 1 comp
stock stroke
the cam above
Weiand D port 2x600 Tunnel Ram
28" tire
3500 stall
4.10 gears.

I am the seller of the heads in question. I don't have a sheet
In my hand but I can get it. These heads have killer 400 lift numbers too
Let me get the sheet. These heads were on a real superflow
Bench BTW

my buddy larry parks ported the heads. he is a big time pontiac guy in the dallas area. we have a local head porter that bought AFRs old superflow bench so its legit. the stock valves are backcut and the heads are not fully ported. my guy just knows what hes doing. ive sent him a message to get the numbers or ill take them back to the bench and get new numbers if i have to. the price of the heads will go up at that point of course! its been severall years since they were done but the heads dont have many miles at all on them. the car was always a garage queen most of the time!

No need for the new test. If you can get the numbers great...Im sending you another pm on moparts. So I can keep it all in once place.

On them springs you mentioned Hemi springs. I wonder if I will have to change those out for the bigger cam? I sent you a message on Moparts. Thanks for chiming in and helping.

Thank you for answering my questions. I didnt think they were fully ported. Im assuming they are stock combustion chamber size. Using the calculator I put in 88cc as I thought thats what stock heads were. Im still waiting on him to answer a few questions. Not sure how that cam is going to like that low of compression.

452's will likely be more like 90 cc , find out from the seller what they are DO NOT ASSUME what they are . Open chamber and no quench keep it at 9.5 and cross your fingers .

On them springs you mentioned Hemi springs. I wonder if I will have to change those out for the bigger cam? I sent you a message on Moparts. Thanks for chiming in and helping.

you should run the springs the cam maker recommends or find out exactly the springs on the heads and get their specs and see if it will work for that cam , there is no one size fits all with valve springs , also make sure there is no coil bind issue .

I didnt figure that the springs were one size fits all. I was asking the seller if my cam profile fit with the springs on there. Shoebox is the one that has these heads.

........ .......Make sure the valve guides have been shortened, stock guides dont support that much lift..........kim.........

They have not I just got off the phone with the guy and that was brought up. Do you happen to know what needs done to accomidate for that and how big of lift you can run without? Thanks kimmer

-
Back