46RE Shifting Issues

-

ChargedDart75

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 5.9 and a 46re. I recently started having an issue with the truck to where it has erratic shifting. On the way home the other day, when I let off the accelerator pedal it would downshift to 3rd. When I came to a stop, it didn't want to shift out of first. Cold it shifted fine, and it doesn't slip. Today I drove it to see if it would do it again, and now it won't shift out of first unless it's at WOT, then it will go from 1st straight to 3rd. I pulled out the old Mac Scout and went for a drive. The "actual pressure" is stuck at 29, and the temp was stuck a -8*. I will attach the picture. To me, it seems like the governor pressure sensor and transducer (BWD brand less than 4 years old) has crapped the bed. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm no transmission expert, just want to fix this damn thing. Thank you all for your help.
20211015_184228.jpg

Those pressure sensors do go all the time. I seems to remember the output speed sensors would go as well. The speed sensor would set a code.

Sounds like the governor pressure solenoid they are relatively easy to replace. Im not sure about the symptoms your having but I know a bad ecm can cause them to not shift. They are electrically shifted

Those pressure sensors do go all the time. I seems to remember the output speed sensors would go as well. The speed sensor would set a code.
The output shaft speed sensor was changed this week. It looked to be the original, and I kept it just in case. It has to be electrical since it doesn't slip though.

Sounds like the governor pressure solenoid they are relatively easy to replace. Im not sure about the symptoms your having but I know a bad ecm can cause them to not shift. They are electrically shifted
That's what I have been leaning towards. I want to make sure though. The data (to me) points to it being the sensor and transducer. Yeah, they're not bad at all to do. I don't think it's ECM since the ECM shows it wants more pressure. It just knows what the sensor shows it.

With the temp sensor reading -8 it may have oil in the case connecter.oil infiltrated in the connector is a common issue that will give the computer all kinds of goofy readings.
If oil in it you will need to change the shift sol. and internal wiring, valve body will need to come out to change it

The temp sensor is part of the pressure transducer. I never saw any problems with oil in the connector to the trans. That is an issue on Gm/allison trans. I did run into one ECM that could not control the solenoid correctly but that is pretty rare. There is a pressure test port on the passenger side right at the joint between the main case and the OD unit. When working correctly you should get 1 psi per mph that goes up smoothly and matches what the computer commands.

When we had problems with the electronic governor we would usually replace the sensor and the solenoid at the same time it makes sense since your right there. I have seen the solenoid clogged with metal and garbage and not put out pressure. Another quick check is to just turn the key on and see what the pressure sensor reads with the engine off. If it shows pressure its bad. I did 25yrs at a Dodge dealer rebuilding these transmissions. Did one everyday for many years lol.

With the temp sensor reading -8 it may have oil in the case connecter.oil infiltrated in the connector is a common issue that will give the computer all kinds of goofy readings.
If oil in it you will need to change the shift sol. and internal wiring, valve body will need to come out to change it
The shift solenoids were changed out, but that doesn't mean this issue isn't the cause. My question is, if this were the case, wouldn't it have this issue regardless of transmission temp? It only does it when the transmission starts to get up to temp.

Make sure your kick down cable is not hanging up that will make it hold 1st down shift early ect.

Check your grounds ! Bad grounds have caused more funky problems than anything.

The solenoid is at 90% because the transducer is reading pressure when it is actually zero.
The solenoid would normally only be around 30%.

Does the sensor show pressure when the engine is off?

So there no possible way that there can be 29 psi when the pump is not turning. The sensor is bad.

Well, I finally got around to replacing the sensor and transducer. Shifter better than it has in a while until I got about 3 miles from home. Started doing the exact same thing. This is with a brand new Mopar sensor and the BWD transducer. I'm stumped, and it makes no sense to me. Any thoughts?

I wanted to share the fix for my particular issue in case anybody comes across this thread. After replacing the Transducer and sensor, the truck still had the erratic shifting after warming up, so my next thought was the OD/Lockup solenoid since it is also the wiring harness. The connector for the transmission had transfluid in it, but no signs of leak from anywhere. I replaced the solenoid, cleaned the transmission harness plugs, and made sure the connector fit tight and was latched. So far it has shifted like normal, so I am pretty confident this was the issue.

The guys (on YouTube) at Precision Transmission make a big deal out of leaking connectors. it might be?? that there's enough metal in the fluid to make it partly conductive. They are always mentioning replacing connectors

Also, there's something in the back of my mind I've read....It's some deal about the one or other or both the O2 sensors get power on the same circuit as part of the transmission electrics, and a fault in that circuit won't set a code but will affect shifting. You might trapese around the internet and research that.

The guys (on YouTube) at Precision Transmission make a big deal out of leaking connectors. it might be?? that there's enough metal in the fluid to make it partly conductive. They are always mentioning replacing connectors

Also, there's something in the back of my mind I've read....It's some deal about the one or other or both the O2 sensors get power on the same circuit as part of the transmission electrics, and a fault in that circuit won't set a code but will affect shifting. You might trapese around the internet and research that.
It was somehow getting fluid in the connector, but it wasn't wet outside of the connection. The only thing I can think is the connector from the transmission was cracked and let fluid seap in.

That's just it----I don't know why oil in a connector would be a problem, I'm thinking that particles from the lining, etc, put enough "metallic" into the fluid that it conducts electricity.

-
Back