46RE transmission problem

-

Ricki01

Reaction score
Good Morning
I have a 1997 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 with the 47RE transmission
I recently put all new clutches bands new pump torque converter and electronics in the transmission. Problem I’m having is it will not pull in reverse. It acts like it goes into gear but it just slips won’t move. All forward gears act fine. I checked to make sure the struts didn’t fall out of bands. Readjusted them and still the same outcome. Can someone please point me in the right direction to solve this problem.
Thank you

Did you replace the overdrive clutches?
If not, it is probably the overdrive direct clutches.
If they are good you will need to check the front clutch.
Other things to look at is the rear servo.
Also make sure the shift linkage is adjusted correctly. This can really fool you if out of adjustment.
Lastly did you do anything with the valve body?

Last edited:
I did replace all the clutches. Replaced all the servos. Took all the spool valves out and cleaned them and valve body.

When you pulled the pan was there any metal particles in the pan?
Any band or clutch material in the pan?
Did you air test the transmission before you reinstalled the valve body?
Did you replace the reaction shaft sealing rings?
Did you replace the inner and outer piston seals in the front clutch pack?
Do you have a transmission service manual?
Did you set the overdrive thrust plate selective spacer per the manual?

Honestly there are many things that could go wrong.
Did you completely disassemble the valve body or just pull spool valves and clean them?

I would be air testing that rear servo at the accumulator port first thing.

Did you completely disassemble the valve body or just pull spool valves and clean them?
Yes to all. I did disassemble the valve body. I replaced all the seals and rings
Also checked clearances.I’ve taken valve body out again. I also took the overdrive off. Going to check these things again.

Sounds like the band is either not adjusted correctly, the lip seal is leaking or the servo piston seal is leaking. Did you install the spring on the correct side of the reverse servo piston? Did you put a new convertor in or, are you using the old one?

Isn't there a big spring that shatters causing this problem. Also makes the od turn off while going down the freeway

Good Morning
I have a 1997 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 with the 47RE transmission
I recently put all new clutches bands new pump torque converter and electronics in the transmission. Problem I’m having is it will not pull in reverse. It acts like it goes into gear but it just slips won’t move. All forward gears act fine. I checked to make sure the struts didn’t fall out of bands. Readjusted them and still the same outcome. Can someone please point me in the right direction to solve this problem.
Thank you
Did you make any progress on this one?

I once, apparently, lost a check ball during a 518 rebuild in my Ramcharger. I am pretty sure it only lost reverse but that was a long time ago. I remember comparing the valve body check ball locations to those in a service manual and determined one was missing. I never found that check ball but I bought one from A&A Transmission and installed it in the location that did not match the manual. It did fix the problem on that truck that I caused. Reverse worked before I was in that one.

If you do not have a manual, try this link below, figure number 3 for check ball diagram. Yours should be a 46RE with 5.9 Magnum engine.
December 2008 Issue - Transmission Digest

Thank you
I’m actually going to get back into it tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find

Sounds like the band is either not adjusted correctly, the lip seal is leaking or the servo piston seal is leaking. Did you install the spring on the correct side of the reverse servo piston? Did you put a new convertor in or, are you using the old one?
I did readjust the band and air tested it appears to be working fine. Spring is on the correct side. I did install a new torque converter. The lip seal in the direct drive??
Thank you for your help.

-
Back