470 dyno test article

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Here is the latest dyno test article with my pump gas 470. In this article I tested a belt driven oil pump as well as a vacuum pump. Peak power was 775 hp on unleaded pump gas. The Wilson porting helped out a bunch as did the vacuum pump. With this kind of power you should be able to drive to the track and run 9's in an A body car.

Dyno Tested: Does a Vacuum Pump Help Your Engine Make More Power? - Hot Rod Network

Here is the latest dyno test article with my pump gas 470. In this article I tested a belt driven oil pump as well as a vacuum pump. Peak power was 775 hp on unleaded pump gas. The Wilson porting helped out a bunch as did the vacuum pump. With this kind of power you should be able to drive to the track and run 9's in an A body car.

Dyno Tested: Does a Vacuum Pump Help Your Engine Make More Power? - Hot Rod Network
All that is is a modified hydraulic pump. Done a lot of hydraulic systems. Not rocket science. Wouldn't trust the belt drive though. Great engine build though!

I appreciate the work you put into your research, and that is one stout 470 for sure. Would love having an identical piece for my Barracuda.

I would. Why do you fear a cogged belt drive?

That appears to be a stout Belt based on Pulley configurations and such. Sometimes in my job I swim with Cog Belts it seems lol and the whole key to these belts lasting forever it seems it good alignment, correct tension, and all things co-centric. The cost of this setup would most likely make you spill coffee on your keyboard but that's the life of working with Mopars......

JW

That appears to be a stout Belt based on Pulley configurations and such. Sometimes in my job I swim with Cog Belts it seems lol and the whole key to these belts lasting forever it seems it good alignment, correct tension, and all things co-centric. The cost of this setup would most likely make you spill coffee on your keyboard but that's the life of working with Mopars......

JW
Your engine. When it breaks, don't say you weren't warned. I've seen em break on cummins 4bt engine stationary engines with hydraulic systems. Then the hydraulic systems shut down. Not that way with a running engine. You will trash it.

Your engine. When it breaks, don't say you weren't warned. I've seen em break on cummins 4bt engine stationary engines with hydraulic systems. Then the hydraulic systems shut down. Not that way with a running engine. You will trash it.
What the hell would u do, use a gear set up on a raised block mopar ? LOL . Only thing better I can see is an alignment guard on the pump pulley, and that probably is not needed.

Again ,,, whatever. It's your money. Another self proclaimed pert on fabco.Emphasis on the spert.....

Belt drives are used in NASCAR as well as all other forms of racing. Even Harley Davidson switched to belt drive.

Belt drives are used in NASCAR as well as all other forms of racing. Even Harley Davidson switched to belt drive.
1st ,the comment didn't go to Andy. 2nd I've Split 2 Harley cogged drive belts too. But oh yea, you know more about what I do than me. I've built a repaired many hydraulic systems for years. It's not reliable piece on the street. A rock can flip up or many things can break the belt,,, unless its a strip only trailer queen. I was just passing along info to save someone heartache and money. I really don't give a happy jack horseshit what you actually do. LMAO!

I have a new cam profile to test in this engine as well as new valve springs. These new springs are a dual conical spring from Comp with a lightweight tool steel retainer. Total weight reduction from these conical springs is 1 pound. So that is one pound of weight that the rocker arms don't have to move during each cycle.
DSC_1903 (Large).JPG

I have a new cam profile to test in this engine as well as new valve springs. These new springs are a dual conical spring from Comp with a lightweight tool steel retainer. Total weight reduction from these conical springs is 1 pound. So that is one pound of weight that the rocker arms don't have to move during each cycle.
View attachment 1715126089
Nice! Are We going to get high speed/sample video in slo-mo of these in action?:D Just askin'!!
My "Eye-mic" says those retainers barely span half the top outer coil, is that correct?

The retainer covers most of the top coil. I don't think there will be any issues with it. These conical springs are a new game for me and maybe most everyone else also. I tried to order spring locators for the springs and neither Summit or Jegs had the part number in their database. So that means nobody has ever ordered the locators. Kind of interesting. The springs are more expensive and they aren't what people are used to so perhaps people just haven't tried them yet.
DSC_1859 (Large).JPG

With that kinda power, you should be able to run nines in a C body wagon.

Andy, just curious.......what kinda power did the belt drive oil and vacuum pumps save? Or were they used for other reasons? Thanks.

I have the dual conical springs installed in the Trick Flow heads now. They dropped right in without any machine work. Installed height was 1.975 and the seat pressure is 205 lbs. Open pressure will be around 660 lbs at 0.750 lift.

DSC_1985 (Large).JPG

DSC_1987 (Large).JPG

DSC_1988 (Large).JPG

A little out of line here, but no valve cover/master cyl. problems w/ those studs ? Just curious >bob

I don't have any problems using valve cover studs. I made the valve covers fairly short so there is plenty of room.

DSC_1303 (Large).JPG

Working on the getting the engine back together with the new camshaft and the conical valve springs. This baby is going to have some valve lift!
DSC_2021 (Large).JPG

Wow and yikes!
LMAO! Yea baby, lift that thing high!

-
Back