470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-
Update - Engine is going to Koffel's tomorrow morning, so actual numbers will be available this week.

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

There has only been one engine on the dyno here that used that TF cam.
It was in a 446 with the TF240 heads and the recommended TF(morel) lifters.
The lifters started getting unhappy before 6K……….and the best hp number on the dyno sheet was the line before the unhappiness started(57-5800ish).

I’m confident on that particular build the power dropping off where it did was the result of the lifters giving up.

On the dyno here, only one BBM with a HR cam has pulled cleanly past 6k.
That engine used some high rpm marine lobes and the Comp evolution lifters.

I feel like an 11:1 470 with 350cfm heads and a heavily reworked single plane manifold has the goods to make peak power past 6k, even with the TF cam.
If……..the lifters hold it together that high.
This has been a worry of mine to be honest. We run a solid street roller in my dads car and it has been awesome. People in my sphere have sworn by the hydraulic rollers, so we will see how it does. If the lifters start to to get unhappy before 6K, I can always change to solid rollers, although I would have to buy new pushrods. Guess I'll finds out in a few days.

I'm thinking max in means max wedge intake ports

I'm thinking max in means max wedge intake ports
That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe someone on the board will know. The receipt says "906 Port". Here is the flow sheet for the heads. Numbers seem high to me for a STD port head, but I am not an expert.

IMG_3483.jpg

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe someone on the board will know. The receipt says "906 Port". Here is the flow sheet for the heads. Numbers seem high to me for a STD port head, but I am not an expert.

View attachment 1716177047
Yeah that would be a great port if standard, it does have big valves though.

I guess one way to tell if it's max wedge, I would imagine the runners on the intake may need to be welded on the outside, I could be wrong but my tunnel ram required welding on the exterior just so I could get the Hughes standard port gasket to not break through when I ported it.

I hesitate to even bring this up, since it usually turns into a pi$$ing contest……

The whole flow sheet is completely suspect…….because of the flow rate listed at .100 lift.
This isn’t me being butt hurt because the numbers are so much better that what I get……..it’s because the flow number is “impossible”………and not by a little bit either.
The airflow through a head at 28” of test pressure will only yield so many cfm per sq/in of area.
That number is 149cfm per sq/in.

The curtain area created by a 2.19 valve lifted .100” is .688 sq/in.
149 x .688 = 102.5cfm.

The sheet shows 150cfm.
Can’t happen…….it’s a fantasy.

Not only that, I’ve never tested any head that got anywhere even close to a discharge coefficient of 100%.
A head with decent flow at .100 lift rarely gets over 80%.

Up to the .300-.400 lift range, the flow is mostly impacted by the valve diameter, shape, and valve seat shape.
The TF heads have the same size intake valve, and a valve and seat shape that results in decent low lift flow.
At .100 lift…….they flow in the low 70’s(c/d of about 70%).

Even at .200 lift the SR flow sheet is showing a flow rate of over 100% c/d.
Keep in mind, it cannot be over 100%

The TF heads are about 76% at .200 lift.

If I flowed the OP’s heads here, I guarantee the flow numbers would be significantly different.
However, in its current form, the head flows what it flows, regardless of differing flow results from different benches.
Lower flow results from a different bench doesn’t make the head itself any less capable.

If bench A says 350, and bench B says 300……….for the same head………the dyno really doesn’t care.

Last edited:
I hesitate to even bring this up, since it usually turns into a pi$$ing contest……

The whole flow sheet is completely suspect…….because of the flow rate listed at .100 lift.
This isn’t me being butt hurt because the numbers are so much better that what I get……..it’s because the flow number is “impossible”………and not by a little bit either.
The airflow through a head at 28” of test pressure will only yield so many cfm per sq/in of area.

149 x .688 = 102.5cfm.

The sheet shows 150cfm.

Not only that, I’ve never tested any head that got anywhere even close to a discharge coefficient of 100%.

Up to the .300-.400 lift range, the flow is mostly impacted by the valve diameter, shape, and valve seat shape.
The TF heads have the same size intake valve, and a valve and seat shape that results in decent low lift flow.

If I flowed the OP’s heads here, I guarantee the flow numbers would be significantly different.
However, in its current form, the head flows what it flows, regardless of differing flow results from different benches.
Lower flow results from a different bench doesn’t make the head itself any less capable.

If bench A says 350, and bench B says 300……….for the same head………the dyno really doesn’t care.
At the top of the sheet it doesn't show what pressure it was flowed at, so that makes sense the unicorn numbers

149 x .688 = 102.5cfm.

The sheet shows 150cfm.

I hear what you are saying. I have found other ported SR heads that flowed about the same as the sheet says online. At the end of the day, the ports look great on these heads and we will see what the dyno says. I dropped it off at Koffel's this morning.

I've got a call out to our local flow bench operator and porter.
He's worked many Indy heads.

Just a couple updates. Scott Koffel and I talked this morning when I dropped off the motor. He seems to be easy to deal with and knows what he is talking about. That being said, I am more concerned than ever about the hydraulic roller lifters. Mine are Trickflows purchased on 2021, so I believe are actually Morels. Scott relayed that they have had issues with hydraulic roller lifters on the dyno, but not the instability issues that others have mentioned. Basically lifter plunges getting stuck due mainly to tolerance issues with the lifters. He said this was mainly with comp hydraulic roller lifters, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have this issue. Motor should be ready for some pulls tomorrow.

Why does it say the same cfm all the way across from low to high lift? Or am I totally miss reading this?

Just a couple updates. Scott Koffel and I talked this morning when I dropped off the motor. He seems to be easy to deal with and knows what he is talking about. That being said, I am more concerned than ever about the hydraulic roller lifters. Mine are Trickflows purchased on 2021, so I believe are actually Morels. Scott relayed that they have had issues with hydraulic roller lifters on the dyno, but not the instability issues that others have mentioned. Basically lifter plunges getting stuck due mainly to tolerance issues with the lifters. He said this was mainly with comp hydraulic roller lifters, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have this issue. Motor should be ready for some pulls tomorrow.
We all wish you luck, it is a stressful period of time. I just about threw up, when Dyno time came for my 470 2nd time around.

I’m not saying the OP’s heads can’t flow 350 at the high lifts.
What I’m saying is the low lift numbers are an impossibility.
So, in order for the high lift numbers to be correct, whatever situation is creating the false low lift numbers…….that issue would have to cure itself at high lift.
Just doesn’t seem like like a realistic scenario.

Why does it say the same cfm all the way across from low to high lift? Or am I totally miss reading this?

The “450” on the intake and “315” on the exhaust are the test range.

The number below it is the percent of flow.
So, at .100 lift intake, you have 34% of 450 = 153.

I could believe 150 cfm starting @ .200

Sure…….but the over 100% c/d isn’t happening on the exhaust side.
And [email protected] on the exhaust would be quite low.

The main point of my original post was that there are obvious red flags on the sheet………enough to where the validity of the results are questionable and/or impossible.

If they are Morels you have a much better chance of success. Were they disassembled, inspected, cleaned and reassembled prior to being put in use?

Just a little reassurance maybe, the hydraulic roller lifters in my BBC were dead stable to 6700 on the dyno, and while I dont turn it that hard in the boat, it has been to 6200 many times. They are factory gm replacement hydraulic lifters. Good oil control and pressure is important.

-
Back