470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-
Times 1/4 ,mile or 1/8 I'm a old timer when it was just 1/4 a lot of people mention times without telling how far these days

Me too.... Looking like I may need to go with a set of ported indy's if my Victor's don't show up soon! I DON'T want to have to wear a dress! lol
Lol, don't worry I won't be getting any new heads anytime soon & I don't want to wear a dress either....no way

Indy SR Heads ported by Indy to flow 351 CFM @ .606 Intake and 233 CFM @ .606 Exhaust
Holley Street Dominator Intake that was extensively worked on

Are the heads and intake still std port size, or opened up closer to MW size?

My suspicion is…….the HP will peak around the point where the lifters start to get unhappy.

My suspicion is…….the HP will peak around the point where the lifters start to get unhappy.
Lifters start to get unhappy???
Can you explain please

The lifters are hydraulic rollers and are like any hydraulic lifter.....and will go on strike at some point at higher RPM.
Gotcha, I guess I could have went back and read that , i could have answered that myself lol.
Thank you!

Mine too, but I think by that time the peak will have been met and falling off.

Mine too, but I think by that time the peak will have been met and falling off.

There has only been one engine on the dyno here that used that TF cam.
It was in a 446 with the TF240 heads and the recommended TF(morel) lifters.
The lifters started getting unhappy before 6K……….and the best hp number on the dyno sheet was the line before the unhappiness started(57-5800ish).

I’m confident on that particular build the power dropping off where it did was the result of the lifters giving up.

On the dyno here, only one BBM with a HR cam has pulled cleanly past 6k.
That engine used some high rpm marine lobes and the Comp evolution lifters.

I feel like an 11:1 470 with 350cfm heads and a heavily reworked single plane manifold has the goods to make peak power past 6k, even with the TF cam.
If……..the lifters hold it together that high.

Last edited:
It's can be built with a near perfect bore rod and stroke ratios. If one is into those things.
What's perfect ?
Mine is 1.71, but I think lower is better... better tug on the intake.
When I spun my short block over by hand it did look to go down pretty quick compared to the speed coming back up.

What's perfect ?
Mine is 1.71, but I think lower is better... better tug on the intake.
When I spun my short block over by hand it did look to go down pretty quick compared to the speed coming back up.
Apparently in the 1.7-1.8 rod ratio + a 92% stroke to bore ratio, from what I've heard, obviously you can make tons of power outside these ratios, Inefficient power is cheap and easy now days.

Apparently in the 1.7-1.8 rod ratio + a 92% stroke to bore ratio, from what I've heard, obviously you can make tons of power outside these ratios, Inefficient power is cheap and easy now days.
When I win the lottery one day I'd build a 4.500 bore, 3.915 stroke 500 cube with B1 stuff & call it good

When I win the lottery one day I'd build a 4.500 bore, 3.915 stroke 500 cube with B1 stuff & call it good
If you go with the 92% stroke to bore ratio which is supposedly be best compromise for stroke and friction that gives you a 4.15 crank for a 528 revver :)

If you go with the 92% stroke to bore ratio which is supposedly be best compromise for stroke and friction that gives you a 4.15 crank for a 528 revver :)
I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea either.
I was just thinking of using my crank and rods I already have

I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea either.
I was just thinking of using my crank and rods I already have

The B1 head was designed in the mid 1980’s. At that time the stroke length in Pro Stock was 3.75-3.65 depending on bore size.

Over a 4 inch stroke is just reduces the rpm range and rpm is power.

The B1 head was designed in the mid 1980’s. At that time the stroke length in Pro Stock was 3.75-3.65 depending on bore size.

Over a 4 inch stroke is just reduces the rpm range and rpm is power.
Yeah I'd love to have a hi revving engine

That is a great question. They are suppose to be the 906 port style, but Indy engraved the heads as shown below. I thought the MAX IN meant max wedge port, but the receipts says "Super Mod Porting - Port Match - 906 Port" on it.

IMG_3479.jpg

-
Back