775 hp - 470 with 270 heads

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Had a 470 low deck on the dyno last week. This is a pump gas engine running unleaded premium. Trick Flow 270 heads, Indy 400-3 intake that was ported by Wilson, solid roller cam and some good parts such as Moroso dragster pan, Jesel front drive setup, T&D rocker arms. The heads are out of the box with no port work, no touch up to the valve job or anything like that. Take them out of the box, blow them off and bolt them down. Carb is a 950 Dominator.

DSC_1468 (Large).JPG

DSC_1370 (Large).JPG

DSC_1420 (Large).JPG

Had a 470 low deck on the dyno last week. This is a pump gas engine running unleaded premium. Trick Flow 270 heads, Indy 400-3 intake that was ported by Wilson, solid roller cam and some good parts such as Moroso dragster pan, Jesel front drive setup, T&D rocker arms. The heads are out of the box with no port work, no touch up to the valve job or anything like that. Take them out of the box, blow them off and bolt them down. Carb is a 950 Dominator.

View attachment 1715098773

View attachment 1715098774

View attachment 1715098775
keep it coming ! Wonder how much h.p. that intake is worth ? A bunch I`d bet .

Andy..
Can you give us any specifics on cam profile ?..
Rocker arm ratio for intake and exhaust ?
thanks

Andy..
Can you give us any specifics on cam profile ?..
Rocker arm ratio for intake and exhaust ?
thanks

Rocker arms are 1.65 ratio from T&D. Cam is Comp 264/268 grind with HXL intake and HXX exhaust.

DSC_0403 (Large).JPG

Very nice, how much of a gain over the 240 heads?
Hard to say since other things change when you change the heads. Most power I saw from the 240 heads on this engine with a Wilson ported intake was 727. So that is a roughly 50 hp increase but I also changed the oil pan, oil pump and added a vacuum pump since I ran the 240 heads. On the flip side, the 240 heads were run with a dry sump system which isn't a bad setup. Here is a full write up on the 240 vs. 270 shootout: Dyno Day: Trick Flow 270 Mopar Heads - Hot Rod Network

very impressive, Andy. Thanks for sharing. Do you have the power / torque curves of both the 240 and the 270 headed engine?

Michael

I have lots of power & torque curves but they don't seem all that useful. Just normal looking stuff for the most part. Sometimes I see weird little divots in the torque curve if I mismatch parts or stuff like that but otherwise the curves all look like what you would expect.

DSC_1457 (Large).JPG

i was interested if the torque peak is where it is expected with the mc farland formula. Pretty close ;-)

Michael

McFarland formula was based on Chevy 23 degree heads so it predicts low on a good Mopar combo. The McFarland formula works okay for cast iron heads but is low on good aftermarket heads and is way, way low on killer stuff like NASCAR heads.

Here is a video of the dyno console during a pull:

no comment on the Wilson intakes worth ?
It picked up 15 hp over the Wilson ported M1 intake. I can't compare it to an as cast Indy intake since I don't have one available but maybe 20 or 25 hp improvement over the Indy unit. The intakes that Indy sell are pretty rough when they come out of the box. The port size is irregular and the plenum is a bit of a mess. If Indy would spend 15 minutes running a CNC around the ports their stuff would be a lot nicer and would work better.

It picked up 15 hp over the Wilson ported M1 intake. I can't compare it to an as cast Indy intake since I don't have one available but maybe 20 or 25 hp improvement over the Indy unit. The intakes that Indy sell are pretty rough when they come out of the box. The port size is irregular and the plenum is a bit of a mess. If Indy would spend 15 minutes running a CNC around the ports their stuff would be a lot nicer and would work better.
thanks !

I went back and looked at the data a little closer and I'd say the Wilson porting work on the Indy intake was worth up to 30 hp but it really depends on the RPM. The biggest difference was at speeds higher than 6000 rpm but we only pull to 7000 on the dyno so that doesn't give a lot of data points. This is just a pump gas engine so a more serious race engine would show a bigger difference between ported and un-ported intakes.

I went back and looked at the data a little closer and I'd say the Wilson porting work on the Indy intake was worth up to 30 hp but it really depends on the RPM. The biggest difference was at speeds higher than 6000 rpm but we only pull to 7000 on the dyno so that doesn't give a lot of data points. This is just a pump gas engine so a more serious race engine would show a bigger difference between ported and un-ported intakes.
Thanks Andy, Any chance of u posting interior pics of that Wilson manifold ? Plenum and runner shots ? Always enjoy ur posts and comments !!

I wonder how much HP the vacuum pump adds? 25-40? Is this a streetable item?

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, Any chance of u posting interior pics of that Wilson manifold ? Plenum and runner shots ? Always enjoy ur posts and comments !!
Here are a couple pictures of the Wilson porting. Those guys go fantastic work. I have several of their intakes and they are all super nice.

DSC_0737 (Large).JPG

DSC_0692 (Large).JPG

Sorry if I missed it but what was the static comp ratio? J.Rob

Static compression is in the high 10's. Maybe 10.8 or something around there. Depends on which cylinder you measure it. Pistons are custom JE with a very small dish. Lateral gas porting to help seal the rings with pan vacuum. 0.043 top ring, coated, short pin, fully CNC lighten, etc. So not super, super trick but not your regular shelf piston.

DSC_0122 (Large).JPG

DSC_0377 (Large).JPG

Molnar rotating assembly with coated and chamfered bearings. Molnar stuff is right off the shelf, bearings are custom order. Rings were a mix and match custom order thing.

DSC_0305 (Large).JPG

I wonder how much HP the vacuum pump adds? 25-40? Is this a streetable item?

I don't think I'd run a vacuum pump on the street. The power increase is only above 6000 rpm so you would probably never see it on the street. Besides, you would wear the pump out in a few months of driving if it was a daily driver. For the street just use a PCV and call it good.

I don't think I'd run a vacuum pump on the street. The power increase is only above 6000 rpm so you would probably never see it on the street. Besides, you would wear the pump out in a few months of driving if it was a daily driver. For the street just use a PCV and call it good.
Thanks Andy, always interesting ! The intake gave me some ideas, soon as I get around and get my little flow bench finished, I may try a little something I saw on ur intake .

-
Back