470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-
Update...........
My 470 is heading to the dyno in the next few weeks and wanted to see estimates on numbers. Here is the details of the build:

400 low deck with eagle 3.91 crank and 6.760 Rods - balanced rotating assembly
Ross Pistons - 11.2 Compression Ratio
Indy SR Heads ported by Indy to flow 351 CFM @ .606 Intake and 233 CFM @ .606 Exhaust
Holley Street Dominator Intake that was extensively worked on
Cam is a Trickflow Hydraulic Roller - 296/ 300 Advertised duration and .600 lift

Dyno runs will be with a MSD distributor, Dyno supplied carb (I think he said a 950) and 2" primary tube dyno headers.

What is your guess on numbers?

Numbers are in and I'm extremely happy! We only made two pulls (4,500 and 5,500) as my goal was 600 HP/ 600 TQ. The run to 5,500 saw max TQ 689 @ 4,100 and max HP 658 @ 5,300 on 93 octane. (Hell Yeah!)
TQ is over 600 from 3,000 all the way through 5,500. The best part is that the motor would idle really smooth at a little under 800 rpm. No leaks, valve train issues, or oil pressure issues. I took a few videos that I will look to post in the next day or so, but below are a few pictures. The info on the dyno set up was as follows: Holley 950 HP Dyno Carb, 2 1/8" fender well dyno headers into 3.5 collectors.

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

6% correction factor is pretty good air. 142 coolant is a bit cold for me. Makes more power but it’s very hard to keep an engine that cold in the car without a MASSIVE cooling system.

If you went to 160 degrees you’d probably lose 1%. It’s not much but you will lose some with warmer coolant.

BSFC are pretty incredible. Dropping down into the .3 teens is impressive if they are true.

I have been seeing numbers like that and I don’t really believe them. Maybe I’m wrong and that’s the actual BSFC. I have tested the flow meters and they appear to be correct.

6% correction factor is pretty good air. 142 coolant is a bit cold for me. Makes more power but it’s very hard to keep an engine that cold in the car without a MASSIVE cooling system.

If you went to 160 degrees you’d probably lose 1%. It’s not much but you will lose some with warmer coolant.

BSFC are pretty incredible. Dropping down into the .3 teens is impressive if they are true.

I have been seeing numbers like that and I don’t really believe them. Maybe I’m wrong and that’s the actual BSFC. I have tested the flow meters and they appear to be correct.
It was really cold this morning, but probably helped the numbers a little. It took a long time to get the motor even up to 140.

Really good numbers, I bet you're happy with that...I am
Yes.....I was really happy with the numbers. Can't wait to get the car put back together and go for a drive in the spring! I wish you luck on your 470!

Very cool! That’ll be fun.
Power starts to drop at 5400.
Yes, this is a function of the Cam and intake manifold I believe. Neither is optimal if I wanted Max HP numbers, but the intake allows me to run the stock hood and the Cam is making great power and torque for a street engine. Also, with the HP falling off at 5,500 I won't have to rev the engine very high so I don't need to be concerned about the hydraulic roller instability in the upper RPM range that has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Nice build, my 499 should be coming up soon. But my guess was right on 640 to 658!!. Good job!!

Yes, this is a function of the Cam and intake manifold I believe. Neither is optimal if I wanted Max HP numbers, but the intake allows me to run the stock hood and the Cam is making great power and torque for a street engine. Also, with the HP falling off at 5,500 I won't have to rev the engine very high so I don't need to be concerned about the hydraulic roller instability in the upper RPM range that has been mentioned a few times in this thread.
I think you built the perfect engine, 650+ hp @5300 is very respectable and should be very reliable.

No problem. Hopefully the info helps someone looking to build something like it in the future.
Exactly!!!!!

After you make some runs with the car, get it dialed in some, slide it into the time zone sticky up top in the racers forum. It’ll be a slight drag (no pun intended) to write everything out on the drivetrain, suspension and engine build, but I think it’ll be an additional piece of gold in the time zone sticky series.

I love that sticky section with everyone sharing there build on how they achieved whatever time zone there writing in.
Like the MP tips section.

Exactly!!!!!

After you make some runs with the car, get it dialed in some, slide it into the time zone sticky up top in the racers forum. It’ll be a slight drag (no pun intended) to write everything out on the drivetrain, suspension and engine build, but I think it’ll be an additional piece of gold in the time zone sticky series.

I love that sticky section with everyone sharing there build on how they achieved whatever time zone there writing in.
Like the MP tips section.
Will do.

You need to add fuel to that thing. It won’t last long in the car at 180 degrees and wot at 14:1 afr. And there’s probably 8-10 more hp just in that.

You need to add fuel to that thing. It won’t last long in the car at 180 degrees and wot at 14:1 afr. And there’s probably 8-10 more hp just in that.
Yes, you are correct. I have the sniper XFlow system with 4 ea 120 lb injectors that will be the final setup. I’ll tune the motor in the car with the final setup and make sure it has more fuel. Since it wasn’t my final setup, we just made the two pulls and didn’t play with the fuel or timing at all. (Timing was @35 for both pulls)

Congratulations.....Only thing i got right was that it would peak a little early. Man that torque curve goes on forever. One of the best 470'' streetable engines i've ever seen. Again...congrats and enjoy.

Yes, you are correct. I have the sniper XFlow system with 4 ea 120 lb injectors that will be the final setup. I’ll tune the motor in the car with the final setup and make sure it has more fuel. Since it wasn’t my final setup, we just made the two pulls and didn’t play with the fuel or timing at all. (Timing was @35 for both pulls)
I like your avatar, we are now 470 on the Dyno picture brothers lol

-
Back