470 vs. 500?

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed via a thread, but, the title is the question.
Cost is not the concern!
So, between the two, which one? Pro's, Con's?
What are your thoughts?

(FWIW, I have a 400 block.)

Last edited:
Personally I'd go 470 cause pretty much the biggest you can go and maintain good bore to stroke and rod ratios and plus it's capable of 500-600 hp easily. Above that I'd go stroker . To me you either add the torque through the crank or gears.

It would be nice to see the mileage people are getting with there strokers since they've been around long enough to prove or disprove longevity on stroker engines.

I think the 470 is the better way to go. And cost is a factor with it winning out. If I am not mistaken, it uses more easy to obtain off the shelf parts.

I think the 470 is the better way to go. And cost is a factor with it winning out. If I am not mistaken, it uses more easy to obtain off the shelf parts.
like tall blocks and long rods myself, but the 400 supposed to be a stronger block. I`d really like a 4 bolt main alum. r/b !

I know MRL makes a screamer 470 that makes 730+ horse from 6000-7500 RPM. Talk about high horse!

How much would it make at 500ci, (everything else the same)?

You could ask Mike. I'm not sure. It's a screamer engine. Short stroke big bore. I imagine with more stroke it would make more torque at a lower point. And probably less HP but it would move its max horsepower to a lower RPM. But I could be wrong.

I'm not into big blocks, so just another opinion.
It depend on whether you want a High rev High HP or a High HP grunter.

I built a 408 stroker because it makes a lot more power, at stock rpm. aka no High Dollar Valve Train to make it live. I do love the sound of a high revving motor tho!!!

I'm not into big blocks, so just another opinion.
It depend on whether you want a High rev High HP or a High HP grunter.

I built a 408 stroker because it makes a lot more power, at stock rpm. aka no High Dollar Valve Train to make it live. I do love the sound of a high revving motor tho!!!
Good point and a reason I'm saving for a 408 myself.

I don't think you could call one a high revver
even though the 470 has more potential in that department maybe there would be a 500 rpm difference in the powerband.

I think it comes down to the power you want and if it's a daily driver or a hot weekend car or street strip or full race. Probably want to keep peak power in the 5000-5500/5500-6000/6000-6500/6500-plus respectively. Also hp per cid ratio would be around 1:1-1.1:1/1.2:1-1.3:1/1.4:1-1.5:1/1.5 plus.

Building anything under 500 hp with a 500 would have the powerband of a truck engine would make a pretty sweet daily driver though.

Last edited:
is this going in an A body?
A friend of mine went 408 and did not like it....on street tires he
gets nothing but tire spin in 3 gears!I can't imagine a 500 working
in an A body.
Another friend went 372 in his '71 Duster with a best of 10.47 ...running
slicks though and shifting at 7800.
I know,not much help but I have no experience with big blocks.

more info needed. What heads will be used? What are the expectations?

An excellent set of questions. Even though the question was an in general one, I did surpluy the fact of myself having a 400.

The idea is it goes into a Duster with tunnel ram dual quads. The current choice of heads to purchase would be the Trick Flows.
Strip strip application.

A 373 is a nice idea.
The following is at 1.5 hp per cube.
This is an excellent street strip level that can be driven as a weekend warrior and should still be streetable enough for that once in awhile drive to out door meets & milk runs if need be. It would be my max. Level to push for this particular ride.

A 373 is about 560hp.
A 408 is about 600hp.
A 470 is about 700hp.
A 500 is about 750hp

I am partial to the low deck 470 as it keeps the piston pin out of the oil ring land. On an RB block I would probably go with the longer stroke.

440source.com. $2249 balance and ready to go no matter the stroker kit.
I don't know much about them.
Anybody have a say?

a friend of mine went 400 / 5xx something..can't remember but it was a Source rotating assembly.
put it in his "cuda dragster, set the timing at 34 and ran it at 2000 for 20 min.
Loaded it on the trailer and went mid 10's all weekend at Luskville in Quebec
..came home and put it in his street '72 Duster....it is a scary piece to drive.

i forgot about that one...

440source.com. $2249 balance and ready to go no matter the stroker kit.
I don't know much about them.
Anybody have a say?

I said price but I also meant popular parts. I think the 470 uses some Chevy parts which are easy to find.

Compression height on a 500" is really short using a B block

I have a 400/499amd a 400/540 but both are drag motors,for the street and a daily driver a 470 might be ok,but just remember mopars is intended to blow away chevys and fords,if you get blown away with your 470 and a chevy and ford kicked your but,you would of wish you went bigger

Never worried about loosing a race. There is always someone faster and someone with deeper pockets. We all try and do what we can within the limits of the wallet. How we skin the cat is another story.

Never worried about loosing a race. There is always someone faster and someone with deeper pockets. We all try and do what we can within the limits of the wallet. How we skin the cat is another story.
-----THIS----------

-
Back